Author Topic: Advice for home base in Peak District?  (Read 965 times)

staggerindragon

Advice for home base in Peak District?
« on: 02:27:58, 08/05/17 »
Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to pick a home base for day walks or short multiday walks in the Peak District (November or early December)?  I'm hoping to find one or two towns to stay in and walk from. 

Since I'll be using public transportation, bus access and handy shops are important.

Thanks!

route2rock

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice for home base in Peak District?
« Reply #1 on: 07:08:09, 08/05/17 »
You could try Hathersage, there are several small convenience type shops, and is easily accessible by train.

The line runs up to Hope too, which gives you great options for walking in hope/edale valleys. There aren't any shops there though.

You other option could be further south, say bakewell, again good walking in the area, accommodation, and shops.
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:26:25, 08/05/17 »
You could try Hathersage, there are several small convenience type shops, and is easily accessible by train.

The line runs up to Hope too, which gives you great options for walking in hope/edale valleys. There aren't any shops there though.

You other option could be further south, say bakewell, again good walking in the area, accommodation, and shops.

Yes, both good picks. Chinley (also on Hope Valley) line has a lot of the same advantages as Hathersage, and is also worth considering. (NB One advantage of both is that if it's a really dreadful day...or just for a change of pace...you can hop on a train and be in Manchester or Sheffield in less than half an hour for a city break.)

It's also maybe worth considering my home town of Chesterfield. Far fewer (but still some) walks you can do from the town itself (compared to Chinley, Hathersage, Bakewell) but better overall facilities...and very easy to get to many areas of White and Dark Peak by car or public transport.

Another place I know almost nothing about...but would value others opinions on is Ashbourne. On the few times I've been there it's always struck me as really pleasant...and its near the wonderful Dove Manifold Valleys, for those who prefer riverside strolls to hillwalking.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:17:31, 08/05/17 »
I've often stayed in Buxton. It has good public transport, facilitating access by bus and train to the western side of the Dark Peak, and by bus to the dales of the Dove and the Wye.  And it has a lot of shops and eating-places.

Here's a link to public transport in Derbyshire
https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/

staggerindragon

« Reply #4 on: 04:24:00, 09/05/17 »
Thanks, all.  That's a very helpful start.   :)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:26:31, 09/05/17 »
Youlgrave village has two shops, two pubs, a youth hostel and a bus service from Bakewell. Paths radiate in all directions from the village.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy