Author Topic: The Cheviot with sunrise  (Read 2179 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: The Cheviot with sunrise
« Reply #15 on: 17:20:24, 26/06/20 »
Great pics and looks a cracking walk, apart for the knees of course - hope you get them sorted.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:03:33, 26/06/20 »
Just looking, for future planning, at how to fill my Pennine Way gap between Chew Green Roman Fort and the spur to The Cheviot. Using Mapometer Terraine map, it shows I can park in Cocklawfoot….. Have you any knowledge of this route?

Dodgylegs it is a special place but you need to experience it in bad weather too  ;) I have done Chew Green and along the border ridge but not from Cocklawfoot, it was from Blindburn I think or somewhere on the south of the border. This was over 15 years ago now mind so it might all be perfectly paved now. There were a few moist areas to negotiate as I recall  :)
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:11:55, 26/06/20 »
I'd certainly give it another go in decent weather should I be in Northumberland - it's a long way from Devon.

The Cheviot might be the highest hill in Northumberland but IMO not necessarily the best. On a good day the views from the Border Ridge are far better  :)
Hate will never win

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:37:28, 26/06/20 »
. . . the views from the Border Ridge are far better

Yup, I'll drink to that.

In fact The Cheviot itself is one of the dullest hills in the range.
Skip

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:57:48, 26/06/20 »
Yup, I'll drink to that.

Go on then, I will have another  :D

I am so looking forward to our trip in a few weeks time to the Cheviots. I hope we get nice weather  :)
Hate will never win

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:29:38, 26/06/20 »
Great pics and looks a cracking walk, apart for the knees of course - hope you get them sorted.

Thanks pdstsp.

Forgot to mention.... there were some large black shiny slugs near the top of The Cheviot; wonder how many generations of slugs it has taken for them to get all the way up there!

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:33:53, 26/06/20 »
Dodgylegs it is a special place but you need to experience it in bad weather too  ;) 

After many years following motorsport, in some of the most horrific conditions, I'm definately a decent weather day walker!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 00:00:16, 27/06/20 »
Enjoyed reading that.  I liked the sunrise shots, the cotton grass path and the bog snorkelling diving board  :D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 07:31:40, 27/06/20 »
Thought that it might be Hen Hole; thanks for confirming - looks very interesting. Must pay a visit to the Cheviot sometime this autumn.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:55:55, 27/06/20 »
Enjoyed reading that.  I liked the sunrise shots, the cotton grass path and the bog snorkelling diving board  :D

Thanks Mel it was ... mostly! ... an amazing experience. Have loads of sunrise photos taken on my ascent.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy