Author Topic: Zip off trousers  (Read 1937 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Zip off trousers
« on: 16:51:15, 29/06/19 »
I've not really taken much notice of zip off trousers (to convert to shorts) before today but after my walk and suffering really itchy lower legs (due to the heat) I'm thinking they may be a good investment.

Can anyone tell me if they zip off above or below the knee?  Or does it depend on brand / leg length?

Alternatively, are there any ladies out there who can recommend any capri-style pants for walking?  Something with a bit of stretch in them if possible?

Ta muchly  :)
Mel

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Zip off trousers
« Reply #1 on: 17:44:31, 29/06/19 »
Mine zip-off about 2-3" above the knee (or lower) if I don't pull them up too high.

wombat

« Reply #2 on: 17:44:41, 29/06/19 »
Hi, try the Craghopper shop and the Tog 24 shop at Hornsea Freeport, they usually have a good selection to try, all at "outlet" prices  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:47:25, 29/06/19 »
I think you sorta answered your own question. They come in different styles, some above knee, some below, some even have two zip off portions so you can choose either style at leisure. I like them for when it's raining. I remove the bottom leg portion and just let my legs get wet. ( still  wear the gaiters though)
Am in Perth now (leg one of journey to Fort William ),  no heatwave up here, in fact it is pouring.
Great Glen Way tomorrow.  :)
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:35:18, 29/06/19 »
I've a Columbia pair and they work well and dry quickly. Mine zip off just above the knee. The biggest problem is when trying to put them back on again, the zips are tiny and fiddly.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:01:47, 29/06/19 »
Make sure you get ones with colour-coded zips. Otherwise if you're like me you'll spend ages trying to zip the wrong leg back on!

I have several pairs but don't like them for serious walking as they all chafe where the join is (even the good ones with a layer of fabric behind the zip) and I haven't found any in a high-quality technical fabric. They're great for bimbles and I will be making good use of them over the next few days while supervising Silver DofE.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:08:31, 29/06/19 »

I have several pairs but don't like them for serious walking as they all chafe where the join is (even the good ones with a layer of fabric behind the zip) and I haven't found any in a high-quality technical fabric.

I always thought this might be the case, so have avoided zip off trousers. In any case it is not fair to inflict my legs on the world.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:44:36, 29/06/19 »
I was persuaded to buy some last year, but I can always feel the zip, and wouldn't do a long walk in them.  A pity, as they obviously really suit most people.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:21:42, 30/06/19 »
Hi all

Cheers muchly for the replies  O0   ... though I am getting the distinct impression you all seem to think "they're a good idea but...."  :-\

I'll have to pop and try some on me thinks and see how irritating the join zip part is for me as I already have a pair of trousers which have a seam behind the knee which can be really restrictive when sitting on the ground or climbing over stiles - I'm assuming the zip location would be a similar issue?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:47:05, 30/06/19 »
I wear zip offs at work as well as walks. To be honest the zip part of it is only really a bit annoying if I’m going ya steep gradient when you have to bend your legs more than on the flat.

Just make sure to take sun cream lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:54:36, 30/06/19 »
Hmm.  I don't "do" suncream (prefer to cover up).  I'm hoping zip offs would be a reasonable compromise  :-\

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:38:31, 30/06/19 »
I have several pairs of zip off trousers and been pleased with them. The best ones I ever had were craghoppers which also had a zip in the outside seam of the leg. This meant I didn't have to remove my boots to remove the lower part of the trousers. Like all really useful items they stopped making them.  >:(

For any which didn't have colour coded tabs I used 2 different coloured sewing thread to show which leg should be attached to which side of the trousers.

« Last Edit: 16:44:23, 30/06/19 by lostme1 »
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:00:54, 30/06/19 »
Oh bummer.  I like craggy troos but that explains why I never spotted any today  :(

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:44:05, 30/06/19 »
Craghoppers still make zip off trousers but without the useful leg seam zip
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:31:44, 01/07/19 »
Craghoppers still make zip off trousers but without the useful leg seam zip

That will be why I’m still looking for a replacement pair for mine then!  :D   I got mine nearly ten years ago I guess. My Craghoppers have the leg seam zip, very useful. And the “legs” have an L and R on. They come just above my knee. I do notice the zip sometimes though it doesn’t really bother me as the trousers are fairly baggy,  but I’d much rather have the option of zipping off when it gets hot, or back on when going through long grass etc. I’ve tried on several other makes and they’re just not the same. Mine are now looking decidedly ancient and worn out though. These ones come to the right place on my waist as well, I can’t stand them on my hips. I will probably end up getting  another pair of Craghoppers but I really would like some with a leg seam (to save me hopping around!) so if anyone can recommend any?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy