Author Topic: Bassenthwaite walks  (Read 2398 times)

1slandmonkey

Bassenthwaite walks
« on: 22:22:21, 27/01/19 »
Hi all. Planning on a visit to Bassenthwaite end of Feb beginning of March and wondered if anyone knew any decent walks in the area.
I haven't visited this far North in the lakes before.
 I wondered what the walk round the lake is like. We are staying at the castle Inn on the North of the lake and I was debating how far and how long it would take circular from there? My partner isn't a big walker so I wouldn't want it dragging on more then three or four hours for her sake. Thought a stop off at the Pheasant might break it up a bit?
I know there are some smaller Wainwright's up there but not sure whether to go for a lakeside walk or higher level walk. Didn't really want to drive. Would prefer to walk directly from the hotel if that's possible 

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks for your help

Ben

Lakeland Lorry

Re: Bassenthwaite walks
« Reply #1 on: 08:43:36, 28/01/19 »
In my experience, it's not possible to walk around Bassenthwaite Lake, or Bass Lake as we tend to call it.   There are a few places on the east side of the lake, where it's possible to walk near the water, but most of it is either private land, or too wet and boggy.

The nearest fells to Castle Inn are Binsey, Ullock Pike and Dodd.   It would be possible to walk to Binsey, but a large part of your walk would be on roads.   A walk, taking in Ullock Pike, without using a car would take you a lot more than 4 hours and it involves a very steep climb.   Not sure if your partner would like it though.    Dodd would be Ok to do, but you'd have to drive to it and pay to park in the Dodd Wood car park.   

My suggestion, would be to do Sale Fell, which is a lovely little fell on the north west side of Bass Lake.   I live close by and Sale Fell is one of my favourite walks.   You would have to drive to it, but it's not far from the Castle Inn. 

There's lot of variations of this walk, but the most popular route starts from the parking area near on the Wythop Mill road.   If you want a longer walk, you can park on the road opposite the Pheasant Inn and walk up the road from there.   The views from the summit of Sale Fell are stunning.   I live close by and Sale Fell is one of my favourite walks.   

Here's a link to the Walks Lakes website, showing the route and some photos:

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_150.html

As I said, there's lot of variations of the Sale Fell walk, some of which that go through Wythop Wood.  I haven't suggested those because all of Wythop Wood is closed for tree felling for the next few months.   

Let me know if you need any more info.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:47:26, 28/01/19 »
Hi Ben

Can't help you with the walk round Bassenthwaite I'm afraid - though looking at the OS map it doesn't look a classic.  The South End of the lake has several areas with the word Mire in the name!

However there are some lovely smaller fells in the area - round the back of Skiddaw, I often park at Over Water and walk up onto Longlands Fell, Lowthwaite Fell, Great Sca Fell, Brae Fell, the Cockups - some lovely walking round there - not many paths on the map but plenty on the ground, and very few people.  On the other side of the lake Sale Fell/Ling Fell give some lovely views too and are easy going, and are close to the Pheasant.

I think you might be being a bit optimistic walking from the hotel - you'll spend most of the 3 or 4 hours walking to and back from the beginning of any hills.

Paul

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:31:00, 28/01/19 »
I agree with pdstsp, I have never considered walking around Bass Lake, too close to the A66 on one side and there would be road walking at some point. The A591 and the B5291 near The Castle Inn are both busy roads, I wouldn't choose to walk along them, although I have done so and it wasn't a pleasant walk on either occasion.

I see Lakeland Lorry has replied too, good advice as usual  O0
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:50:46, 28/01/19 »
I can offer you this low level walk from Bassenthwaite village to the lake which Mrs N and I did.
https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjA4Njk5Nw==

For the fells round about I can offer
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=103

And one I have actually done which bags 6 Wainwrights from Longlands.
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1656

Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:32:55, 28/01/19 »
They are going to have to motor a bit to get round a couple of those in 3 to 4 hours ninthace  ;D  - all great walks though.

Ben - a couple of ninthace's walks start from Longlands - be aware that parking is limited.  There is a small car park near Over Water - it's marked on OS maps - adds about a mile onto the walk.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:03:35, 28/01/19 »
They are going to have to motor a bit to get round a couple of those in 3 to 4 hours ninthace  ;D  - all great walks though.

Ben - a couple of ninthace's walks start from Longlands - be aware that parking is limited.  There is a small car park near Over Water - it's marked on OS maps - adds about a mile onto the walk.

The 6 Wainwrights Back of Skiddaw took me 3:55hr on 9/1/13 including the spur to Knott.  Leave that out to come under 3hrs.  The Lake Walk was 2:38hr on 10/4/15.  My log says parking for about 3 cars at Longlands.  When I parked there I was the only one.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:09:56, 28/01/19 »
I wasn't having a go ninthace - it was the Skiddaw via Ullock Pike one I meant.  I agree with you - lovely walks.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:50:43, 28/01/19 »
Bassenthwaite isn't a classic lake to walk around.  It doesn't have footpath provision all the way around, has some issues with traffic and the south side is particularly poor.

On the other hand, don't fear, you're in a great position for loads of walks.  I've not checked the links in the other posts, but in general you could do:

- Head north west in to the Whinlatter forest and enjoy ambling through the woods.
- Head up Latrigg for an easy wainwright.
- Walk around Derwentwater.  Yes, it'll be busy, but it's a pleasant walk with a good amount of cafes and pubs if you're the more leisurely stroll type of walker.
- South west via Coledale beck towards the mine and turn it into an out-and back.

If your partner isn't much into hiking hills no sense pulling them out of their comfort zone and getting an ear full.  Also, if you do go out, worth bringing a flask and making sure people are properly dressed.  Bring an extra fleece in your pack you can lend to them, and if they don't have proper boots don't take them on muddy trails on March wearing trainers.

1slandmonkey

« Reply #9 on: 20:20:49, 30/01/19 »
Thanks for all the advice guys. It does look like walking round Bass will be a big ask. I think we are going to take a stroll up Sale fell from The Pheasant Inn. I'll post a TR when I get back and let you know how we found it. I'd happily try and bag the 6 Wainwright's as I'm only in my 30's so far. (in age an Wainwright's) but I don't want to put my partner off if it's a cold miserable February day. Thanks again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy