Author Topic: Lord’s Rake  (Read 2378 times)

GeoffB

Lord’s Rake
« on: 22:09:29, 04/05/19 »
Does anybody know what the status of Lord’s Rake is at the moment? I went up in 2017 and it was fine. Somebody told me today it was closed again, and that there was even tape across the entrance. Is that true? I haven’t heard that there have been any new rock falls!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Lord’s Rake
« Reply #1 on: 08:39:14, 05/05/19 »
I can't answer your question, I'm afraid, but is it even possible to 'close' Lord's Rake?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

GeoffB

« Reply #2 on: 08:55:30, 05/05/19 »
Well, for several years after a rock fall, it was not recommended and most people accepted that it was effectively off limits. Then about three years ago a big chock stone came down and since then it has been “open”. Yesterday I was told by somebody that it was closed and there was tape across the entrance. I thought that was pretty strange, but then this person also claimed he went DOWN Broad Stand from Mickledore, so I’m not sure how much he knows about the area! 🤣

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:17:09, 05/05/19 »
Well, for several years after a rock fall, it was not recommended and most people accepted that it was effectively off limits. Then about three years ago a big chock stone came down and since then it has been “open”. Yesterday I was told by somebody that it was closed and there was tape across the entrance. I thought that was pretty strange, but then this person also claimed he went DOWN Broad Stand from Mickledore, so I’m not sure how much he knows about the area! 🤣

That person must have a good head for heights!

But how can he go down Broad Stand from Mickledore?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:43:42, 05/05/19 »
but is it even possible to 'close' Lord's Rake?
Normally it is possible to have rights of way suspended but I'm not sure that is possible on open access land.

Well, for several years after a rock fall, it was not recommended and most people accepted that it was effectively off limits.
If you did go up when you had to go under the chock stone you were not lonely.

snoopdawg

« Reply #5 on: 15:17:03, 06/05/19 »
Saw some pics on FB yesterday of a family on Lords Rake and then WWT, so no its not closed by the looks of it

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:57:32, 06/05/19 »
Maybe send an email to Wasdale MRT?

Watters

« Reply #7 on: 10:42:55, 02/07/19 »
I ascended it on 22nd June, no tape anywhere that I could see and we weren't the only ones. Scree was very loose and the party ahead caused a few small rocks to come down a few metres and then my party caused some rocks to go all the way down the gully.

I'd be reluctant to take people that way, but happy to risk it on my own as long as there was no group following below me (and ideally no one above me).

snaderson

« Reply #8 on: 13:18:01, 02/07/19 »
I went up there in May (my first time). It was a bit awkward dropping from Mickledore onto the traverse and the Rake itself was very loose. I prefer my scrambles on rock rather than scree. Somewhat like Watters, I'd be reluctant to rush back.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy