Author Topic: Troll  (Read 1064 times)

Apache

• Account Closed
Troll
« on: 08:47:12, 08/10/20 »
Sorry - unashamed use of clickbait.

November's issue of country walking has an article about British made gear. As I am looking for new trousers the Troll Omni Trouser Original caught my eye.

My question is does anyone have experience of these in particular or of the other British made gear in general?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Troll
« Reply #1 on: 09:15:43, 08/10/20 »
Sorry - unashamed use of clickbait.
It worked.

Never heard of Troll clothing.

Of course you have now had to click to see if I have written a useful reply which, if you've ever read any of my other posts, you should know would be unlikely.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:36:07, 08/10/20 »
Did the clickbait draw me in? No, I would have read the post regardless, nyah!

Looking at the Troll page for the Omni trousers, I was immediately impressed that they are 100% nylon, which means they should be really quick to dry when you get your legs wet, unlike polyester-cotton mixes.
Windproof, yes they probably will be to a certain extent, but I'm not sure about the water resistant claim, this is unlikely unless they have been treated with something, which is not mentioned.
The only other comment I will make is that they appear to be lacking in pockets. I can't see any in the picture and they are not mentioned.
In all it's a bit of a poor product page, I think. The maker could have and should have added more details.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #3 on: 20:08:50, 08/10/20 »
It worked.

Never heard of Troll clothing.

Of course you have now had to click to see if I have written a useful reply which, if you've ever read any of my other posts, you should know would be unlikely.

I had some troll trousers in the 1990's - Cotswolds sold their clothing then. Seemed pretty good - mainly climbing stuff

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:49:37, 09/10/20 »

Flip flop, muzzle gin and tonic, razzle dazzle

My post is more useless than yours  :D
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:52:49, 09/10/20 »
Flip flop, muzzle gin and tonic, razzle dazzle

My post is more useless than yours  :D
;D But it made me read it  ;D
Bit early to be on the red wine even for you isn't it?

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:26:34, 09/10/20 »
I find 100% nylon trousers are colder to wear than poly/cotton trousers in cooler conditions as the fabric is not warm to the touch especially if there is a breeze blowing. I also find them warmer to wear when the temperature rises. Probably just me but that's my personal views of them.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:58:23, 09/10/20 »
I find 100% nylon trousers are colder to wear than poly/cotton trousers in cooler conditions as the fabric is not warm to the touch especially if there is a breeze blowing. I also find them warmer to wear when the temperature rises. Probably just me but that's my personal views of them.

Agreed, to a certain extent. My Tog 24 Reno's are certainly a bit cold and 'solid'-feeling when compared directly with polycotton, but I wouldn't wear anything else because they're tough, windproof and most importantly, very quick drying.
A couple of years ago I fell on my hands and knees when crossing a Welsh bog in the late afternoon (there was a footpath marked on the map, you know how it is...) but by the time I'd walked on, set up my tent and eaten dinner, everything I was wearing, all synthetic, was completely dry. 

But I used to wear Sprayway Gritstone trousers which were also 100% nylon that they called TechWeave which was soft to the feel and supple, although they were maybe a bit thin and light. Now decorated with holes, they're still on a hanger in my wardrobe "just in case", the truth being that I can't bear to throw them out, we had some good adventures together.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:24:19, 09/10/20 »
Ive still got a pair of some really wacky flower power design Troll trousers, that i bought in Crickhowell Adventure in Brecon, in 1987.
Troll made some incredibly bright and very over the top designs some years ago, but you do not see their clothing that much.

Their more of a rock climbers gear manufacturer, but ive still yet to see any manufacturer design clothing as wild in appearance as Troll.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:02:24, 09/10/20 »
Bit early to be on the red wine even for you isn't it?

I'd had a cup of tea when I posted. It was extra strong tea mind  :D
Hate will never win

Jim Parkin

« Reply #10 on: 21:47:06, 09/10/20 »
Ive still got a pair of some really wacky flower power design Troll trousers, that i bought in Crickhowell Adventure in Brecon, in 1987.
Troll made some incredibly bright and very over the top designs some years ago, but you do not see their clothing that much.

Their more of a rock climbers gear manufacturer, but ive still yet to see any manufacturer design clothing as wild in appearance as Troll.

Yup that fits with my recollection. I'm pretty sure I had a plum-purple trousers in some type of nylon and with the fly zip on upside down.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy