Author Topic: Overnighter from High Lodore Sat 16 to Sun 17 Feb 19  (Read 2685 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We went on our first wild camp of the year at the weekend. It was going to be mild overnight but gales were forecast for anywhere at height so it would be a low down camp. We'd thought maybe Blea Tarn below Ullscarf or the Wythburn Fells and we started from High Lodore. We were late getting into Keswick, we arrived at 12.15 so it wouldn't be a long walk, we'd got to High Lodore at 12.35.

Shepherds Crag from High Lodore

The steep climb up by Shepherd's Crag

We noticed the weight of our camping gear as soon as we started climbing. We also noticed the strength of the wind and we wondered if pitching at Blea Tarn was such a good idea and we wondered if the Wythburn Fells would be too windy as well. We might end up on Thirlmere shore  :-\

Beefy and Squeaky on the way up

We stopped for lunch in Mossmire Coppice, we were pleased to have a rest even though we had only been walking for half an hour, it was a steep path up. When we got to Watendlath Beck we changed our plans. The wind here was howling down the valley and we didn't want to walk into it, right in our faces.  We thought we would try and find somewhere out of the wind, even lower down than we expected to, near where we were. We walked toward Surprise View, had a wander into the woods looking for camping spots. We walked around for a few hours not having any luck. We had a good old explore on the paths in Hogs Earth above Gowder Crag, we'd never been on them before.

A view of Derwent Water and Skiddaw from Hog's Earth

Interesting place but nowhere to wild camp as the ground is all lumpy, or too wet or too many trees. We retraced our steps to Watendlath Beck and then over to Shepherds Crag. Too windy there so we retreated into the trees again.

Skiddaw seen near Shepherds Crag

A gorge in Watendlath Beck

We were thinking of giving up and going home at one point but we did eventually find a spot. There were trees above us but the wind wasn't very strong there, it was sheltered from the worst of it. We got some water on to filter and pitched the tent. We sorted our gear and quickly took some photos before it got too dark.

The MSR at our camping spot

We had our tea as it got dark. There were no views to be had anyway, so the darkness wasn't a problem. It was great being back out in the tent and we really enjoyed it despite it not being the best view we've ever had. No sunset view either, there might have been a bit of a sunset, the sun did show itself now and again. We opened some wine and got snug in our bags.

We slept well overnight, the wind didn't get any stronger where we were. We slept later than we meant to not waking up until 7.20. We had some breakfast and a couple of brews and we were on our way at 9.05.

We walked to Watendlath Beck and walked the same way as yesterday toward Surprise View. Squeaky was looking at us as if we were mad. If she could talk she would have said "You were back and forwards along here a hundred times yesterday"

The view from Surprise View

Beefy and Squeaky at Surprise View

Squeaky, the view is behind you  :D

Some Herdwick Rams

What handsome chaps they were, magnificent looking animals  :)

We reached Ashness Bridge

A rare thing - Ashness Bridge with nobody about. The wind here was making itself felt and there was a bit of rain in the air. We weren't in the mood for the wind and rain together so we walked toward Great Wood instead of going on to Walla Crag.

On the way to Great Wood

We got to Great Wood and joined the Derwent Water shore path. We turned south and walked along the shore for a while until just past Cat Gill. We turned back when we couldn't find anywhere for lunch, the wind was very strong across the lake.

A weather front coming in from the south, Castle Crag seen in this shot

Still clear further north

We did find a sheltered spot in the end and stopped for some lunch. The clag descended during our lunch and the views disappeared. 

Very evil birch pollen

At least we thought it was birch pollen, it looked like a birch tree. It may have been alder or hazel pollen; both equally as evil as birch  :D

On the shore path back to Keswick the wind was really strong at times and it started to rain too. We had a cuppa in Hope Park Café before getting our bus home at 1.30. As we left Keswick the sun appeared along with blue skies and views  ::)

Day 1 was High Lodore - Mossmire Coppice - Hogs Earth - Gowder Crag - Surprise View - Hogs Earth - Shepherd's Crag - pitch in the trees. 9.25km with 300m ascent. Day 2 was Pitch - Surprise View - Ashness Bridge - Great Wood - Derwent Water shore path - Cat Gill - The Ings - Keswick. 9.65km with 100m ascent. Not the best overnighter we have had but it was good to be back out in the tent. I haven't mentioned too much about where we camped because it was a bit too low down and close to civilisation really. It looks like we might get better weather for next weekend, we want a sunset and a nice view, thank you  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Overnighter from High Lodore Sat 16 to Sun 17 Feb 19
« Reply #1 on: 19:20:50, 19/02/19 »
Great report, pleased you got a camp despite the weather.
What did Squeaky think about camping?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:35:32, 19/02/19 »

Thanks Ridge  :)

Squeaky seemed to enjoy it more this time. I had made a warm winter sleeping bag for her. She got too warm in it and kept getting out of it  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:35:33, 19/02/19 »
Great pics Ape
Was a good first WC and a lovely little pitch in the trees next to the beck O0
Tremendous  8)
Fancy a WC this weekend?

Great report, pleased you got a camp despite the weather.
Squeaky has been camping before, in a tent, and a hammock ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:36:06, 19/02/19 »
Most woodland is not conducive to a decent pitch, that one looks remarkably good. It seems that you weren't missing much in the way of views higher up, best to just enjoy the pitch itself.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:37:09, 19/02/19 »
Fancy a WC this weekend?

I do, I hope we get a good sunset  :)
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:39:37, 19/02/19 »
Most woodland is not conducive to a decent pitch, that one looks remarkably good.

It was the only flat spot in a five mile radius  :D

Hate will never win

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:09:32, 19/02/19 »
You've scored a double whammy with this TR April;
For starters, a great report on the first WC of the year & some good photos to bring it to life, and .... secondly, something to relieve the monotony of the YHA argument (elsewhere) or isn't it an argument, is it a contradiction ?    :D   :D 
Hope you get the sunset & calm conditions this weekend, I think you might  O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:07:44, 20/02/19 »
Excellent T/R April, lovely area that is.
I take it the National Trust hut wasn't open at Ashness Bridge, for a bit of a warm by the open fire, out of that wind?  :) 

Last time I was at Ladore Falls, I was in the infinity pool drinking Champers (daughters treat)  :D

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:36:53, 20/02/19 »
Lovely pics April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:40:49, 20/02/19 »
something to relieve the monotony of the YHA argument (elsewhere) or isn't it an argument, is it a contradiction ? 

:) I have never stayed in a YH so I didn't contribute or fan any flame(r)s ;)

Hope you get the sunset & calm conditions this weekend, I think you might  O0

Thanks IM, I am working on where we are going, Squeaky might get a few more AW's done  :)

I take it the National Trust hut wasn't open at Ashness Bridge, for a bit of a warm by the open fire, out of that wind?  :) 

It seemed to be closed but we were there early

Last time I was at Ladore Falls, I was in the infinity pool drinking Champers (daughters treat)  :D

How the other half live  :)

I see they are building summat at the Lodore Hotel at the moment. I hope they are going to re-instate the footbridge and permissive path to get to Lodore Falls so people don't have to walk along the road to get to it.

Thanks sunnydale  :)

Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:31:27, 20/02/19 »
Lovely photos April     :)    I especially like the tracery of the branches of the trees on the pic of Derwent Water and Skiddaw from Hog's Earth

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:09:36, 20/02/19 »
Yes, lovely pics, April - especially on day 2 - and a great write up of your trip. I'm glad to hear Squeaky is now a convert to wild camping!  :) O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:00:02, 20/02/19 »
Great TR April - good to see the wild camps have started again!  Lovely pics - those rams are some sight - how does Squeaky react to them?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:33:02, 20/02/19 »
Thanks Dovegirl and adalard  O0

Lovely pics - those rams are some sight - how does Squeaky react to them?

Thanks pdstsp  :)

There was a fence between us three and the rams but Squeaky didn't react to the rams at all. They didn't move an inch, they stood there as hard as nails, as if they were saying "Come on, if you think you are a tough enough"  :) Squeaky only reacts if a sheep (or anything else) moves. She likes to chase things so she is kept close on the lead if there are any sheep about.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy