Author Topic: {TR} Bakewell to Chatsworth - Snowy scenes and frosty trees :-)  (Read 8999 times)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Due to my car being completely frozen up last week coz of the snow/extreme cold etc, it meant that I had to walk from home for a change.  No bad thing, living where I do, as it doesn’t take long before you’re surrounded by lovely countryside! 8)  

So on Monday 6th December,  the day of the fabulous and widespread Hoar Frost, I got myself rugged up and off I went......with my camera at the ready.... :D  

Bakewell park, looking rather stunning....  

Mist rising from the River Wye, as the sun hit the chilly water...  

After walking up Station Road and through the North end of Manners Wood towards Ballcross Farm, I followed this snowy lane all the way into Edensor...  

...passing some lovely scenery along the way...  

After walking through Edensor village, I crossed the road that runs through Chatsworth Park and followed a track towards Chatsworth House.  I could just see a small herd of Deer ahead...  

...and a few more, taking advantage of the clear ground beneath some fallen branches...  

I have never seen Chatsworth looking as stunning as it did that day....  

And standing by the little road bridge near the house, I just marvelled at scenes like these...  

The frozen river just added to the frosty wonderland...  

Once at the house, my main aim was to eat!  Although sunny, it wasn’t really the day for sitting around, so after a few cups of hot soup and a sarny, I took a couple of pics and then set off again...  
The courtyard fountain, completely frozen up...  

And I’m not quite sure what to make of this really..... :D  

Part 2 to follow!......  
:D  
***Happiness is only a smile away***

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
A cracking set of pictures of beautiful places and trees.

Rob.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Part 2...... 8)

Heading back along the track, I noticed where I could have stopped for lunch!...

Not sure what these two fella’s had their eye on.... :D

Back in Edensor, I took a footpath across parkland near Maud’s Plantation and headed for New Piece Wood.  The snow was fairly deep and mostly untrodden, making the walk more of a back aching trudge in places...

Once through the woods, this  little Swiss style cottage can be seen just nestling in the trees at the woods edge .  What a fab place to live.....maybe... :-\

Thank god for tractors! O0   The tyre tracks along the snow fields of Carlton Pastures made walking a fair bit easier for a while...

They soon came to an end though, so I took advantage of these snowshoe tracks instead!  I still sank into the snow a bit and my back was really suffering by this point...

The afternoon sun looked lovely glinting through the trees though...

A small pond on Carlton Pastures, now covered with thick ice and looking very very chilly!...

Eventually I reached the top of Manners Wood again,  a little further South than where I went into it earlier in the day.  The trees looked pretty amazing here too...

Just inside the wood, the late afternoon sun cast a golden glow over the trees.  Awww.... ;)

After the relative warmth of the wood, the temp had plummeted by the time I got to the river again.....

And a chilly mist had formed in the park, making it feel even colder....

The same avenue of trees that I photographed in the sunshine at the start of the walk...

8) :) 8) :)

This wasn’t a long walk – around 8 miles – but it had over 1,500ft of overall ascent...so not too shabby!  It's also a walk I won’t forget in a hurry!

Hope you enjoyed,

Tracey :)
« Last Edit: 17:56:13, 12/12/10 by sunnydale »
***Happiness is only a smile away***

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
Hey Tracey I LOVED these photos, wish I had been on the walk. I love the snow in the countryside but not on the roads when trying to get to work  ;D

Tons of ace photos on there. Loved the ones with the deer, I saw a deer round here once int he local cemetery at the end of a local walk. And the one with the frozen mist. ANd the one with the sunshine sloping in, I love the quality of sunlight in late afty this time of year.... I must make time at some point to come down your neck of the woods and do your top walks, there seem to be a lot of em! What are your top 3 walks near you?

Dave

12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

nod2

Hi Tracey, great photos.

Wish I could have made it  O0

altirando

• Veteran Member
Any more pictures like that Tracey and I will move back to Bakewell! I've often walked over Calton Pastures. Looks as though Chatsworth has a cafe now? Went out today for a short stroll along Whitegate Way, very little snow left, but the hoar frorest was good a few days ago. With oaks, birches, Scots pines in the garden and boundary hedge, and forty feet length of  floor to ceiling glass in the main rooms, it has been like living in Narnia Land. Just been watching Countryfile, report on offroader problems in the Peak. Somewhere called Blackbrook. Where's that? There were problems above Llangollen but the situation has improved now.

docpaul

• Veteran Member
WooooooW!!! Fantastic set of pictures, Tracy. I LOVE that second shot of the avenue of trees (on the way back) with the pink evening sky and the mist. Marvellous scenery.

Brings back great memories (not snowy ones though!) For my wife's 50th birthday, she and I did the walk from Bakewell over to Chatsworth, and I had arranged a meeting with all our kids and a whole gang of surprise guests - in the middle of the Chatsworth maze!! It worked brilliantly! Then we all went off to the Maynard at Grindleford (before its refurb) and had a lovely meal and overnight stay.

Anyway, enough of my memories (must be getting old!)

Thanks for posting such a glorious set of pics - it takes a long time putting so many up. Looks like you might be in for more White Stuff later this week then?

Paul
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Beautiful pictures tracey - one of those good to be alive days. But pretty tiring trudging through all the white stuff O0

Love the hoar frost on the trees and hope for more of the same this winter.

KentYeti

Yet more magic photos from your camera Sunny. O0

You certainly capture quite superbly the wonderful countryside around you in Derbyshire, in it's various moods and at different times of the year.  :D
If you've ever followed my paw prints up a snowy mountain you will know Yetis are real, and not just for Christmas.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Stunning Tracey  :)

I really love those crisp whites and vivid blues

Glyders

• Veteran Member
Wonderful pictures Tracey.  The trees look amazing and love the deer pics O0

dibble

• Veteran Member
What wonderful amazing photos Tracey.   I love the deer ones, and the one with the rising mist, and ones with the sunlight on the snow.   O0   Thank you for sharing.   :)
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

yeti

• Veteran Member
Some stunning and beautiful photos O0
R.I.P. Dave.

Arenig

• Veteran Member
Excellent TR and photographs sunnydale, thanks for sharing them with us.  ;)
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

Micky

• Veteran Member
Great pictures of a fantastic walk there Tracy, I've done that walk a few times in both directions but never in those conditions. It looks awesome, hope we get some more snow. If we do I could well be tempted to do it again.

Thanks for sharing.
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy