Author Topic: A Blast from the Past!  (Read 18946 times)

cuddlykoala

• Veteran Member
Re: A Blast from the Past!
« Reply #105 on: 20:03:35, 02/03/11 »
Working in the public sector I'm sorry to say that I think the policy makes it worse. We have to have half day training courses on how to treat each other decently, which the cynic in me thinks is probably designed so the institution doesn't get sued. Every department has to have a 'diversity lead' to watch over us. In the end it just leads to a backlash by some people who just take the p**s and I get ignorant idiots saying 'ooh you said spade, you can't say that', 'I can when I'm talking about digging you t*sser, how do you like that word?' I say.

And if I havent said it before, Julie, you are as welcome as anyone on this lovely forum, it's the nicest most non-judgemental place I've been, so there.  O0

Understamd where coming from and agree, what bugs me is all these laws and regulations. For instance the banning of conkers at school, cutting down trees because the seeds may harm you. Apparently in some schools you can't play on the playground incase you graze your knee and get infected. It seams that we getting more and more like a police state, I hate to think what the country will be like in 40 years.

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #106 on: 20:29:14, 02/03/11 »
True, but most of that isn't law at all, it's head teachers over reacting in case THEY get sued, and for that I blame Injurylawyersforyou.com   >:(   That's one for the 'pet hates' thread  :)

bootson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: 20:38:43, 02/03/11 »

Apparently in some schools you can't play on the playground incase you graze your knee and get infected.

What???  :o   Ridiculous! I grazed my knees plenty of times and never did me any harm  ::)

cuddlykoala

• Veteran Member
« Reply #108 on: 20:44:58, 02/03/11 »

What???  :o   Ridiculous! I grazed my knees plenty of times and never did me any harm  ::)

Stupid isn't it.  You know I slipped in Australia doing a hike on my own and took the skin off my leg from knee to ankle, it was a bloody mess with 100's bush flies swarming around it and it didn't get infected. Mine you did take a long while to heel but more from knocking the scabs off whilst bush walking.
Julie

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #109 on: 22:44:25, 02/03/11 »
Enjoyed looking at your old photos Julie, I do like to see the old pics.

I'm glad you're feeling so welcomed on here, they're a good bunch on here aren't they? 

The only thing you need on here is a love of walking and a good sense humour O0

I hope joining here will be another positive change for you O0

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #110 on: 12:14:47, 03/03/11 »
I think the problem is that someone thought it was a good idea to legislate for what should be common sense.  If you are a racist or bigot or homophobe then you can be sure you won't "Say" the wrong thing, but that doesn't make you less of a racist etc.

I am a social creature, when I want to be, but I'm also happy, more often than not, with my own company.  I do tend to speak my mind, especially if asked, but I'm careful to not offend where I'm aware that I might.

Part of the problem is that people feel they shouldn't ask people that are "Different" what they consider to be personal questions.  How do you get to understand and accept differences if you don't at least have an explanation from the people concerned.

Also, it is not compulsory to actually like a person that is different, ethnically, sexually or religiously or any other 'lly you want to bring up.  I have worked with Asian people that I've liked, and I've met some that I disliked because they were arrogant or themselves racist, and the same is true of Black people that I've known and the Gay community.

People are people, you like some, you don't like others.  Some become good friends (I've even got a Scottish one) and some just become friends that you walk with or see infrequently.  Whatever someone's background, if they are arrogant, selfish, bigotted, Racist or whatever, you wouldn't like them would you?  Unless of course you are, that's your choice.

What am I rambling on about?  Well I'm saying, I judge people by the way they act once I've met them, I allow for differences in opinion, I don't like everyone I've ever met and I understand that some people don't share my sense of humour and aren't as vocal as I can be.  I try to be helpful but I do expect people to help themselves as well and I find people that are different to the White Norm interesting not frightening, I think that's a key thing, but at the same time, trust is earnt, I'm not daft.

Hope that's made sense.  My biggest failing probably is that being ex forces, I will tend to want to make a joke about something, or take the mickey, like we used to do to each other in the RAF.  Nowadays I have to try and curb myself and be a bit more sensitive to peoples feelings.  I do think though that if you're "different" you need to grow a bit of a skin otherwise you'll let everything get to you, including comments from [censored] who are Oxygen Thieves.

Cor blimey, rant over  ;D
Walk

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: 12:35:16, 03/03/11 »
I think the problem is that someone thought it was a good idea to legislate for what should be common sense.  If you are a racist or bigot or homophobe then you can be sure you won't "Say" the wrong thing, but that doesn't make you less of a racist etc.

etc
etc
etc
rant
rant ;D
Here here O0 .
Couldn't agree more. I am positive that any racist comments or alike on here wouldn't be tolerated. And as O.C. says its a site for people sharing a common interest of walking O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #112 on: 18:51:11, 03/03/11 »
Blimey, I think PP just said it all perfectly.

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #113 on: 19:00:20, 03/03/11 »
Blimey, I think PP just said it all perfectly.

First time for everything  :coolsmiley:
Walk

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: 09:09:07, 05/03/11 »
Well said PP O0

I couldn't have put it better, it's a shame more people don't think like you do O0

(And that is a compliment PP, I'm not taking the micky for a change ::) )

Julie, I think you need to get yourself out on some meets O0

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: 09:51:24, 05/03/11 »
Here here O0 .
Couldn't agree more. I am positive that any racist comments or alike on here wouldn't be tolerated. And as O.C. says its a site for people sharing a common interest of walking O0 .
you're right Yeti, it has happened...they didnt last long...
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #116 on: 10:05:46, 05/03/11 »
you're right Yeti, it has happened...they didnt last long...
and good riddance O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

Christopher

« Reply #117 on: 00:47:58, 16/03/11 »
Wow, love the pictures. The moment i saw them i recognised all the routes. Pictures 1 to 8 are from the top of Rossett Gill (and a couple from the bottom) near langdale, Climbed that many times on the way to Scafell Pike. Great shots

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #118 on: 07:22:01, 16/03/11 »
Excellent post there PP.   O0   
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy