Author Topic: SWCP Planning the trip - Gas cartridges along the way  (Read 1151 times)

raptor88

Hello everyone! I'm new here, I've just registered and posted first message on welcome section! My name is Andrea, from Italy. By the end of the month I will fly to Bristol and then to Minehead to start the south west coast path. I'm currently still planning the trip! I've thought about gear, tent, sleeping mat, ecc ecc. I will go wild camping whenever possible. Now I'm thinking about the food and how to cook it. And now the question: where I can find gas cartridges along the path? Are there hardware store or outdoor store where I can find them? Or I need to pick some at Bristol? And if yes, where?
Thank you for you patience to read it all and for your replies, in case!  ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: SWCP Planning the trip - Gas cartridges along the way
« Reply #1 on: 11:16:54, 14/07/19 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Not an area I know at all but Cotswold Outdoor, Trespass, Mountain Warehouse and Blacks all have branches in central Bristol, you will have to check which is closest to your route through the city.

Minehead also has a Trespass.

Contact these people in Combemartin to see if they stock gas
https://www.outdoorshop-combemartin.co.uk/camping

Bude has a Mountain Warehouse

In Newquay there are Newquay Camping and Lesiure, Millets, Trespass and Mountain Warehouse

St Ives has Mountain Warehouse

Falmouth has Mountain Warehouse and Trespass

Fowey and Looe both have branches of Mountain Warehouse.

When you get to Plymouth you will be spoilt for choice.

How much of it are you planning to do?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: SWCP Planning the trip - Gas cartridges along the way
« Reply #2 on: 14:27:14, 14/07/19 »
Hello everyone! I'm new here, I've just registered and posted first message on welcome section! My name is Andrea, from Italy. By the end of the month I will fly to Bristol and then to Minehead to start the south west coast path. I'm currently still planning the trip! I've thought about gear, tent, sleeping mat, ecc ecc. I will go wild camping whenever possible. Now I'm thinking about the food and how to cook it. And now the question: where I can find gas cartridges along the path? Are there hardware store or outdoor store where I can find them? Or I need to pick some at Bristol? And if yes, where?
Thank you for you patience to read it all and for your replies, in case!  ;D

Just a thought.

What type of gas cartridge do you use ?
I have found different types of fitting across Europe.

In the UK the three main types of 'camping gas cartridge' are the

1) French "GAZ" type which the stoves has a pin and punctures the cartridge and you cannot then remove the cartridge.

2) Screw type which is a 7/16" Lindal thread. This is the most popular type in the UK

3) The 'quarter turn Bayonet'

Types 1, 2 and 3 you will find available in camping and outdoor stores.
Type 3 is very often available in DIY shops and Car Fuel (Petrol) Service stations

Adapters for each type are available on Ebay so if you have a 'type 2' stove you can buy and use a type 3 gas cartridge., if you have  a type 1 (GAZ) stove then you can only use that type of GAZ cartridge.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy