Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292483 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1170 on: 13:20:24, 23/05/20 »
I had a headtorch failure once, halfway up a dark and windy mountain, I hadn't checked the batteries on my back-up torch, they were dead so I just had to make do for the night. Trying to get my tent even partly erected was so difficult and trying to find a small area of flat earth was just as bad. I always carry spare batteries now. But after all of this, my fault entirely, at sunrise the view was stunning!

mow1701

« Reply #1171 on: 13:21:00, 23/05/20 »
Just bought off eBay a pair of Scarpa Ranger GTX for £45 delivered. Super condition and a grand saving on new.

Also a pair of Columbia sandals for £10.00.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1172 on: 13:21:51, 23/05/20 »
That looks nifty!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1173 on: 13:23:07, 23/05/20 »
Also just received my sunhat - a Kookaburra cricket sun hat - arrived too late for me to avoid a scorched neck on the Howgills last Wednesday!

https://www.kookaburra.biz/en-gb/cricket/gear/cricket-clothing/kookaburra-cricket-sun-hat/

That explains why it's blowing a hoolie and pouring down today.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1174 on: 14:34:36, 23/05/20 »

That explains why it's blowing a hoolie and pouring down today.

Indeed - you can all blame me! It would end up in Morecambe Bay if I ventured out on to the Prom with it today.  :o
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1175 on: 17:03:54, 23/05/20 »
I had a headtorch failure once, halfway up a dark and windy mountain, I hadn't checked the batteries on my back-up torch, they were dead so I just had to make do for the night. Trying to get my tent even partly erected was so difficult and trying to find a small area of flat earth was just as bad. I always carry spare batteries now. But after all of this, my fault entirely, at sunrise the view was stunning!
Apart from the obvious always check batteries and carry spares routine, I would recommend using your spares when you have to replace the main batteries and then replace the spares rather than just putting in new batteries before you set off.  I got caught once, needed spares, went to the zip-loc bag where I keep them only to find they had been in there so long they had gone off.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1176 on: 12:29:32, 25/05/20 »
Actually brought this a while back but due to Lockdown I've only just got it.

Won't get to try it now until the snows come again and better time arrive.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1177 on: 12:51:29, 25/05/20 »
Dangerous things pulks. Nearly got run over by a laden one when skiing  in Noway with the Norwegian army. We were skiing down through some trees on a fairly narrow track when one of my skis slipped under a branch that was barely covered in snow, stopped me dead so fell flat on my face, could hear the yells from behind and managed to roll to one side just in time, being encumbered with a heavy Bergen and rifle didn't help  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1178 on: 12:59:40, 25/05/20 »
Yes, had a similar incident myself. Managed to get the tip of one ski tangled up in the top of a baby fir tree that was buried just under the snow surface. Wasn't towing a pulk but did have a .22 on my back. The main casualty was a pair of rather expensive sunglasses. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1179 on: 14:43:49, 25/05/20 »
 O0   at least that's all it was, I wasn't towing a pulk either, was the guys behind me that were  ;D 
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1180 on: 16:17:43, 25/05/20 »
O0    I wasn't towing a pulk either, was the guys behind me that were  ;D
Clearly orfficer material.  ;D
Solvitur Ambulando

Hadrian

« Reply #1181 on: 16:27:17, 25/05/20 »
I began this Bank Holiday never having heard of a pulk, so that’s something I’ve learned today.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1182 on: 16:53:26, 25/05/20 »
I began this Bank Holiday never having heard of a pulk, so that’s something I’ve learned today.

Their not your normal walking kit but it's for a long distance trip I'm planning for in three years time. At times they can be something of a mixed blessing, their like having a mad dog chasing you down hills especially when you're going diagonally. But trying to cross country ski with a big heavy pack on isn't that easy either. The route I'm doing can for the most part be done hut to hut but there are a few gaps, the largest one is 80km. This means carrying tents, sleeping bags, stoves, food etc. I'll have to take everything with me all the way even though I'll only be camping around 30% of the time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1183 on: 17:01:46, 25/05/20 »
Sounds like an exciting trip for you to look forward to, Owen.  O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1184 on: 19:48:21, 25/05/20 »
Clearly orfficer material.  ;D

Most certainly, although I took my turn on it too  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy