Author Topic: Wainwright's walks  (Read 677 times)

Flanno21

Wainwright's walks
« on: 19:42:50, 03/04/21 »
Hiya everyone!

I'm just looking for a bit of advice. My husband really wants to do Wainwright's. I've been looking at ones that I think I can do as I prefer a path to walk along as I can be unsteady on my feet. We've managed Latrigg (loved it) and Gowbarrow Fell (still can't believe I got over all the rocks) 🤣🤣

Are there anymore like Latrigg that have quite a solid path?

Also, when I googled Gowbarrow it was given a 2/5 in difficulty. Does anyone know how? Because of travelling over all the rocks to get to the summit I thought it was much more difficult than a 2!!

Thanks for your time. Safe walking 🚶‍♂️

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: Wainwright's walks
« Reply #1 on: 21:16:08, 03/04/21 »
Hi and welcome to the forum O0
Quite a few of the lower Wainwrights have quite clear and simple ( if sometimes steep ) paths. Off the top my head I can think of Binsey, Walla Crag, Sale fell, Loughrigg, Sour Howes and Sallows, Castle Crag, Rannerdale Knotts and High Rigg but I'm sure there are many more.
 Even some of the higher fells can be reached without any clambering over rocks I'm thinking of Dalehead from Honister, Wetherlam by the southern ridge, and even the Helvellyn Dodds by the ( admittedly  very steep ) path from Stanah.
Hope that's enough to get you going :)
« Last Edit: 21:53:35, 03/04/21 by karl h »

Flanno21

« Reply #2 on: 21:41:50, 03/04/21 »
Thank you so much!! That is a brilliant start for us 😀

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:36:20, 04/04/21 »
Welcome to the forum, Flanno.  :)

You might also consider Yoke from Troutbeck - the Garburn Pass track is pretty decent from the west (but atrocious from the east), and the path onwards over the moors and up the hill is easy enough, if I recall. You might be tempted onwards along the ridge towards Ill Bell, but I think that the path gets rough as you descend towards Froswick.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy