Author Topic: Why do people want to know wild camping spots in advance of a walk?  (Read 5727 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member

So if someone has already walked a route, then you know it is safe, reasonable and a sensible choice?  A bit like someone asking if a certain place is suitable for a wild camp, or where someone might spend a night if they are travelling a certain route?

Can't say I would totally agree with that, some people follow routes in the mountains that I wouldn't copy - look at the recent thread on Crib Goch Foxes Path for example, or the Bochlwyd Horseshoe. I'm thinking more of moderately comfortable walking on some sort of a path rather than ploughing through dense grass tussocks, thigh-deep heather, across marshes or forcing a way through overgrown forestry plantations where the map claims there is a path.

Jac

• Veteran Member
I've only wild camped on the SWCP where murphy's law dictates that you pass the best camp spots far too early in the day to stop >:(

On the Pembrokeshire cast path we fell in talking with a young couple who were finding the camp sites expensive. Just wild camp we suggested. They were doubtful - isn't it illegal - but when we happened to meet up at a pub a couple of days later  they were firm converts :) 
« Last Edit: 19:25:13, 26/11/18 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member
There is a huge difference in stating that you are going on a particular walk and does anyone know the best places to wild camp along that route so as you can set a rough target for the walk.

It's another completely strange thing to just ask about spots without mentioning the target walk.
Anyway there a a huge number of TRS on this site that mention great places to camp. And also a thread where people can mention their favourite spots. The search bar on the forum is always a great place to start.
For example, thanks to an ancient thread I was able to work out which binoculars to consider.

Too little, too late, too bad......

April

• Veteran Member
I always plan where I hope to wild camp. The walks are planned around that spot including the bus times to the start and from the finish with a plan b and c maybe as backup. We want it all when we camp, a flat pitch, a great view,  a sunset view, shelter from the wind and hopefully close to a water source. We don't always get all of these things or pitch where I'd planned but I personally would feel slightly anxious all day if I had no idea of where we would be pitching the tent.

I also see places where I think would be good for future camping spots. Not sure why some people would think this is wrong?  :-\ I don't have any issue with people doing short walks to a wild camping spot either. Each to his own, some people prefer the camping part and a shorter walk some people prefer walking longer distances. It is the same with walking isn't it, some people like shorter walks than others.

I have no problem with people asking for wild camping spots. Surely it is best to be prepared in advance if you are unsure or have never been wild camping before? The same with people going out walking on the hills, perhaps for the first time or asking advice about unknown routes is a sensible thing to do? How many times do we hear of folk going out without preparing properly for what is ahead?
Hate will never win

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Blimey...I was going to ask the forum members on suggestions on places to wildcamp next summer in the Lakes as I've never done it and fancy it and figured that the members would be able to give good suggestions.

Maybe I best not bother  :P

No, this is a good idea, something like "I'm planning to do the north western fells, any great wild camping spots you'd recommend near x?" open the door to people pointing out the little gems and are often happy to do so.  And in the case of the Lakes in summer you can find some great little wild camps near tarns - sure you won't have them by yourself on a weekend.

My point was more that half the fun of the outdoors, especially in poor weather, is not having everything in front of you planned and regimented.  If you're walking a long distance path in the UK it is different as the route is laid out in front of you and there isn't much deviation possible - but for me there is a joy to navigating on the fly, changing your route or camp-site based on conditions and how your body is feeling.  Sure, you want a rough idea where you can find a good camp site, but having a look at the map and being able to see three of four options and change your plan as you arrive (especially if they're overcrowded or not as you expected) is a skill worth developing.
« Last Edit: 13:10:56, 26/11/18 by forgotmyoldpassword »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
No, this is a good idea, something like "I'm planning to do the north western fells, any great wild camping spots you'd recommend near x?" open the door to people pointing out the little gems and are often happy to do so.
Which immediately makes them no longer little gems because everybody knows about them. Their very mention here will attract people.
It's not a good idea. The great pleasure is in finding your own spots in the area you plan to finish the day, we've found many great ones without any prior knowledge.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Finding a place to camp must be a lot easier than finding a place to park overnight in a lorry. I remember my first night out, sleeping across the seats in a small Bedford TK rigid, loaded with doors and window frames. I had done some deliveries in the Stoke area and went off towards North Wales. Come 6pm, where do I park, I didn't know where any of the lorry parks were. I headed off into Nantwich, picked up some food from a shop, and went into a car park in the town centre.

It didn't feel right not going home, I was lost and lonely, how safe would I be what happens if someone bothers me. I drove the lorry into a corner shielded by a hedge on two sides, put newspapers up on the windows on the other two sides, locked myself in and didn't dare get out of the cab. Well, I had to just once, to have a pee. I hardly slept at all that first night.

I can understand why people are nervous about finding a safe place to camp. I haven't done it, not brave enough, preferring to go on a proper camp site.

ilona

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

I can understand that those who are inexperienced perhaps want the security of knowing there is a 'good spot' for them to aim for before they venture out. And also in most of England and Wales there is the added complication of having to find somewhere discreet. So don't be too hard on them.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Which immediately makes them no longer little gems because everybody knows about them. Their very mention here will attract people.
It's not a good idea. The great pleasure is in finding your own spots in the area you plan to finish the day, we've found many great ones without any prior knowledge.

There's truth to this. Just one mention on the internet can be enough to make a spot popular as it shows up on Google searches. If you have found a great spot that is nice and quiet then you'd be foolish to post it on an open forum, unless you're happy for it to become popular and be in use the next time you turn up to it.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
I don’t camp, period. But that doesn’t mean I can’t recognise a decent looking camp site when I see one, should anyone ask my advice on an area well known to me I’m happy to give it. I’m a little surprised that one or two here are not so happy about doing the same for those less experienced, isn’t giving advice part of what the forum is for? I do get the point of quiet places becoming less quiet, but maybe a private message rather than on the open forum then? I have done this for people when requested and will continue to do so.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
I don’t camp, period. But that doesn’t mean I can’t recognise a decent looking camp site when I see one, should anyone ask my advice on an area well known to me I’m happy to give it. I’m a little surprised that one or two here are not so happy about doing the same for those less experienced, isn’t giving advice part of what the forum is for? I do get the point of quiet places becoming less quiet, but maybe a private message rather than on the open forum then? I have done this for people when requested and will continue to do so.

Indeed and I've had similar tips, via PM, from people myself.

rosam

Having wild camp for the first time ever in my life last week, I can understand why people would want to ask experienced hikers / campers where to go.

I planned my spots, I looked at the maps, I checked online, I calculated mileages, I thought about water. However as a inexperienced woman walking solo, in February I did not fancy walking in the dark. I have never done anything like this before and despite all my research my spots where not as good as I hoped for. I did not take into consideration shelter, or views. I couldn't find a spot with water nearby (just carried more until the next tap/ water source) What it looked ok in my map was not so perfect in reality (I'm a beginner a map reading too but not totally useless) Overall, I was glad to have planned in advance but even then it wasn't perfect.
Should I have asked people for good spots? maybe, but I didn't and I survived. However it would have been more enjoyable experience if I had known better areas to camp, that's for sure.
So I don't think it is a bad thing for people asking about good spots to camp. Nothing wrong with it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Interesting, Roseam. What area of the country was it, roughly?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
@Rosam,
I assume you have done plenty of hillwalking as day walks before that venture, so tackle it the other way round: the advice I often give first-timers is to scout good pitch spots on day walks and then design a two-day route centred on one of them, planning to finish there at the end of day one. It's a simple and reliable way to learn the basics.

April

• Veteran Member
Good advice from vghikers  O0

I also look at photos on peoples blogs, websites and trip reports to look at possible pitches. I also do image searches of an area too if I am unfamiliar with it. Good for you for going solo, I do it now and again  :) Feel free to ask on here, most of us are fine with it.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy