Author Topic: Helvellyn avoiding "the edges"?  (Read 4857 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Helvellyn avoiding "the edges"?
« on: 19:51:11, 24/11/14 »
Ow dooz.

Has anyone "done" Helvellyn from either Wythburn - going up Birk Side; or Highwood Park/The Swirls - going up alongside Helvellyn Gill?

Is there much/any scrambling involved?  What's the terrain like generally (apart from steep  :D ;D  )?

Thanking you good folks muchly in advance for any insights  O0

Mel

jacko

Re: Helvellyn avoiding "the edges"?
« Reply #1 on: 20:07:43, 24/11/14 »
I have done Helvelyn every way except dropping out of a helicopter, the route up from Wythburn is a simple walk in a zag zigging fairly mudain fashion...the two edge routes are not as bad as you imagine, in good weather....read the weather reports and ACT on them...she is a lovely mountain, but do not take her lightly,

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:31:07, 24/11/14 »
Brill  :)   cheers for that jacko  O0

Do you know anything of the other route up that I mentioned?

In my mind's eye I'm concocting a circular "triangle" from one car park to the other, then up, then back down to the car.  I'm just trying to work out whether to go clockwise or anti-clockwise as I'd prefer anything difficult to be on the way up rather than on the way down!

Oh, and in my mind's eye this adventure is happening on a sunny day in June, with a couple of fluffy clouds and a slight breeze  ;D   O0   :-X

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:41:08, 24/11/14 »
Hi Mel

The route up from Swirls is steep in places and seems to go on forever but there isn't any scrambling as such, except a few steep pitched steps near Brown Cove Crags where hands might be needed for balance for those with short legs (ie me). The route back down Birk Side has steep pitching too and in the wet makes a slippery descent but so does the Swirls path. I've done both routes up and down quite a lot and I prefer to go up from Swirls and down Birk Side.
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:01:56, 24/11/14 »
Ooooh, thanks for that April  O0

I think my mind's made up  :D

Roll on Summer  :)

northern star

« Reply #5 on: 21:54:30, 24/11/14 »
Hi Mel,
I normally go up from wythburn as Im not doing the edges on my own with the dogs (don't have a death wish!!!) and steepness aside, what I love about that route are the gorgeous views over thirlmere and the special moment when you are almost at the top and you get your first glimpse of striding edge, hope you enjoy whichever way you do it 😀

bellyboy

« Reply #6 on: 22:17:40, 24/11/14 »
Hi Mel
We stay in our caravan on a farm called Stybeck in Thirlmere. If you look on the map at Stanah lane there is a village hall car park with honesty box you can park in. Walk up Stanah lane and pick the footpath up to Raise and then on to Helvellyn. First bit is fairly steep but from there on its steady away. Just another option if your interested
Mick

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:53:12, 24/11/14 »
Thanks northern star  O0   I don't blame you for not wanting to do the edges with doggies.  My route up will probably be decided on the day depending on which car park I can get into  ;D

Just had a nosey at the route you suggested Mick.  That might be a bit much for me to do all in one day (I don't walk fast and my legs aren't used to mountains  :( ) but it's got lots of potential for a circular route in it's own right .... so it's in the back pocket for another day's walk  O0

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:34:01, 25/11/14 »
A route we've been favouring recently (as I also don't like edges very much) is park at the Water companies car park by Thirlemere on the A591 (or in the layby if you want avoid paying). Even though it's a water company car park don't expect the toilets to be working in my experience.

We then get the Bus towards Grassmere / Windermere and get off at the old AA call box near Dunmail Raise. We then walk up alongside Raise Beck to Grisedale tarn and up the side of Dollywagon Pike. From the top you then have an easy walk taking in the various summits to Hellvellyn. Finally go down by Lower man and Brown Cove Crags and back to the car park you started in.

A lovely walk, not too strenuous either even if Raise Beck is quite sheltered so I'm always sweating buckets by the time I get to Grisedale Tarn.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:15:33, 26/11/14 »
Ooh, cheers Dazza.  I'll have a proper looksee at that route when I get in tonight.  I'd not considered a linear option  O0

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:24:17, 26/11/14 »
No worries.

Linear walks where we get a bus to the start (or sometimes back from the end) are something we're doing more of, mainly because you can get to places you can't easily include in a circular route.

Park at Buttermere then get the bus from Buttermere to Honister Slate Mine, then up to Dale Head and heading back to Buttermere along the 'ridge' was a good (if soggy in places) walk. Quite popular a popular route with some good views plus starting from Honister you sort of cheat as you get some free meters of ascent using the bus so the walk to Dale head is somewhat easier! It has a kick in the middle in that you lose height and then have to gain it back but it's worth it.

Likewise we walked from Keswick to Seatoller via Derwent Water, Borrowdale and Castle Crag then got the bus back. Very unusual for us that one as it meant no driving at all. It felt very odd not getting into the car straight away.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

jacko

« Reply #11 on: 19:44:59, 27/11/14 »
I couldn't agree more Dazza, we have used the Borrowdale bus a lot to get us to the start of a walk and that way you are not going up and down a fell.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:18:01, 01/12/14 »
Thanks guys for the linear / bus options.  I've had a reeet good look at a few options which would make use of the bus and think I'll be able to get some bloomin' good days' walking in on my little holiday  O0

Ooooohhhhh roll on Summer  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy