Author Topic: Two apps  (Read 567 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Two apps
« on: 10:42:01, 01/12/19 »
I have come across two apps that I have not seen mentioned on the forum before.
Windy, a comprehensive weather guide
But better for me by far,

Windy maps.
 At first glance this appears to be a truly good piece of work, maps can be downloaded to your device, they seem to be ok.

I was told they only work on Apple but I successfully downloaded to Android.

Not had a good look at them yet but at first glance they look good, probably a very useful tool for those planning walks in areas they have no maps for, as in Europe, say.

I am sure one of the younger software buffs on the forum can give their considered views.

Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Two apps
« Reply #1 on: 13:18:01, 01/12/19 »
According to the App Store reviews, Windy Maps uses OpenStreet mapping for areas outside the Czech Republic.  Not sure what it has to offer over ViewRanger which includes the option of Premium maps for the area you are visiting.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:26:59, 01/12/19 »
I also use Windy maps because I like the OpenStreetMap type of display especially when I'm hiking my way through villages, towns, etc either here or on the continent. When out of built up areas in the UK I use my Backcountry OS maps.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:17:02, 01/12/19 »
Used it today along the coast from N. Shields fish Quay to St. Mary's Lighthouse and back. Approx 10 miles, bracing to say the least, canny northumbrians going into the sea for a dip at Whitley Bay. Think I'll leave that till New Year's Day.

Much prefer VR, but it looks like a useful alternative as it shows places of interest as you approach. Be interesting to see how it develops over the next couple of years.
I had a bit of a laugh at the first aid section, but thought "well you never know who you may need to get help from".

However it is good that others are working on this type of thing, in my opinion, it stops VR and Garmin from resting on any laurels they may think they have.
« Last Edit: 22:15:43, 01/12/19 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy