Author Topic: Do you take any 'odd' foods with you on hiking trips?  (Read 2049 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I personally don't think it's odd but when I go for a hike I carry the usual with with me, nuts, wraps, a tube of cream cheese, a choccy bar or two etc and a few Radishes! When my mouth is dry and just drinking water doesn't do the trick, munching a couple of radishes usually helps a lot. I love em!

Sometimes when I wild camp I buy a couple of gin and tonic cans to help me pass the time in the evening. If I'm lucky I'll also remember to buy a small can of new potatoes as well. A couple of G & Ts and a few cold potatoes for me is a great way to watch the sun go down.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Do you take any 'odd' foods with you on hiking trips?
« Reply #1 on: 13:28:39, 28/01/20 »
Not so odd, but I sometimes take dried dates or figs for energy & as a sweet snack while walking or resting. And of course they are full of vitamins and roughage too.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:03:38, 28/01/20 »
I've never needed roughage!  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:38:21, 28/01/20 »
How on earth can you drink G&T without a fresh slice of lemon and some ice cubes?  This is just so lower deck!
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:01:28, 28/01/20 »
How on earth can you drink G&T without a fresh slice of lemon and some ice cubes?  This is just so lower deck!
So a compact ice maker with be GWM`s next purchase..& don`t forget the little umbrellas.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:03:08, 28/01/20 »
Nothing odd I'm afraid. I always take two small flapjacks and one small banana with me on any solo walk up to 20 miles or so. That's enough to last me until I get home for a late lunch...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:28:49, 28/01/20 »

utterly CONTEMPTIBLE! ;)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:32:05, 28/01/20 »
I take jelly babies on multi day walks to give an extra boost towards the end of a long day, or on a steep climb. First eaten I believe on the C2C at the top of Loft Beck when briefly lost in the clag.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:32:37, 28/01/20 »
I used to take a tin of mandarins for a juicy energy boost on a hot summer's day in the Carneddau.

But now I'm fairly minimalist - Stoats porridge bars my favourite belly timber, but any such thing will do, fruit and nuts, sandwiches on a day walk, oatcakes and squirty cheese or veg pate + kabanos or similar dried sausage for a wild camp (no stove in summer), with maybe a small bit of chocolate as a luxury item.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:35:32, 28/01/20 »
I take jelly babies on multi day walks to give an extra boost towards the end of a long day, or on a steep climb.
It has got to be Maynards Wine Gums.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:03:09, 28/01/20 »
Take a hip flask of single malt. That needs nothing added, apart from possibly a splash of mountain spring water. :)

zuludog

« Reply #11 on: 19:18:54, 28/01/20 »
No, nothing particularly odd or unusual, but this has reminded me

Years ago you could get cheap blocks of compressed dates, a bit bigger than a packet of 20 fags; I remember that they were 50p, but I haven't seen them for years. I wonder what happened to them?

There were also similarly sized blocks of compressed bananas , and figs, but they weren't as common

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:57:14, 28/01/20 »
Compressed dates are still available - look in the baking aisles of the supermarkets. We have a (half eaten) packet in our kitchen cupboards.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:58:05, 28/01/20 »
Take a hip flask of single malt. That needs nothing added, apart from possibly a splash of mountain spring water. :)

That's more like it. Or even just a miniature.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:01:50, 28/01/20 »

Why pollute good spring water?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy