Author Topic: Things that annoy me when I'm walking  (Read 9335 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Things that annoy me when I'm walking
« Reply #30 on: 19:10:44, 06/03/18 »
Trying to read a map on my phone in bright sunshine!

Use a proper map then.  That way you cam learn origami as you navigate too.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:17:42, 06/03/18 »
Usually typical r**bler types.
Vghikers......not sure what r**bler types means........
It's all uphill from here.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:45:16, 06/03/18 »
....not sure what r**bler types means....

As in the R**blers Association. It's a long running joke, irreverent but respectful of their achievements, their full name is never uttered. Often stereotyped as walkers of countryside field paths with big clodhopping boots more suitable for the Eiger.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:50:37, 06/03/18 »
Ah, I see. As a R**bler of long standing I am to use current parlance “ offended”. Not really.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:58:13, 06/03/18 »
Ramblers can be identified by a secret sign - they wear their socks outside their trousers; Senior Ramblers always wear red socks; Ancient Ramblers wear long socks outside their trousers and short socks rolled down over their boot tops.

I've said too much, was that a knock at the door?............................................

Ninthace's account has been closed. Nothing to see here, move along.
Solvitur Ambulando

AFANASIEW

« Reply #35 on: 20:08:23, 06/03/18 »
Walking's a delight until you encounter a landowner's hostility in whatever form, e.g. a cattle feeder placed immediately adjacent to a RoW so that the cattle turn the path into a quagmire, electric fencing narrowly circumscribing a footpath so that it gets trodden into a quagmire, piles of waste timber strewn across a path etc etc.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

Tin

« Reply #36 on: 20:28:30, 06/03/18 »
As in the R**blers Association. It's a long running joke, irreverent but respectful of their achievements, their full name is never uttered. Often stereotyped as walkers of countryside field paths with big clodhopping boots more suitable for the Eiger.

Yes, aka the red sock brigade.

BTW cracking website you have, I've used it many times in the past and glad to see you here. O0

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:36:29, 06/03/18 »
Red socks have been proven to be the warmest, most long wearing and sartorially elegant. However should never be worn with trousers tucked into them and in fact trousers  should never be tucked into socks of whatever hue or pattern. It is in the rule book somewhere as bringing the R**blers into disrepute. So I am sure those you have seen thus apparelled cannot have been R**blers.

Tin

« Reply #38 on: 20:47:01, 06/03/18 »
Red socks have been proven to be the warmest, most long wearing and sartorially elegant. However should never be worn with trousers tucked into them and in fact trousers  should never be tucked into socks of whatever hue or pattern. It is in the rule book somewhere as bringing the R**blers into disrepute. So I am sure those you have seen thus apparelled cannot have been R**blers.

Although I never knew they were the warmest I did know, from previous studies, that they are indeed the fastest.

Maggot

« Reply #39 on: 21:20:34, 06/03/18 »
People who find dozens of things to pointlessly moan about  ;)

Ho11yberry

« Reply #40 on: 21:38:54, 06/03/18 »

Stopping for lunch at what seems like an OK place only to turn a corner on the trail 5 minutes later and find it opens out onto the most glorious view with a fallen tree for a comfy seat.  :(

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:31:49, 07/03/18 »
Stopping for lunch at what seems like an OK place only to turn a corner on the trail 5 minutes later and find it opens out onto the most glorious view with a fallen tree for a comfy seat.  :(

Ha ha, yes...that's happened to me a few times when I've walked somewhere new and didn't know the area. You just have to make a mental note of the ideal spot, for if you ever walk there again! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 09:58:49, 07/03/18 »
Summit slugs......touch the top if you must, take in the view, take your photo, then move away.......don’t sit there having your bleddy lunch  :P
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 10:11:41, 07/03/18 »
Summit slugs......touch the top if you must, take in the view, take your photo, then move away.......don’t sit there having your bleddy lunch  :P

Odd that. It annoys a lot of people but has never bothered me so long as there is a way through to the top and they leave the place as they found it (or cleaner). Better them than the ones taking pictures of themselves on very conceivable high point just to say they have bagged it - that’s the hill walking equivalent of trainspotting.
Solvitur Ambulando

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 10:44:28, 07/03/18 »

Odd that. It annoys a lot of people but has never bothered me so long as there is a way through to the top and they leave the place as they found it (or cleaner). Better them than the ones taking pictures of themselves on very conceivable high point just to say they have bagged it - that’s the hill walking equivalent of trainspotting.
Maybe it is ninthace, but to deny a person a couple of minutes to visit their goal of achievement is selfish.
Not everyone visits summits on a regular basis, for some folk it is a rare achievement only to not be able to truly finish it off by a snap cos someone’s sat on top stuffing their face with a sandwich!!!
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy