Author Topic: A Few Navigating and Mapreading Tips  (Read 1413 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: A Few Navigating and Mapreading Tips
« Reply #1 on: 16:35:12, 05/04/18 »
Another one would be how you actually hold the map.   Using your compass ( or phone with compass app) turn the paper map so that North on the map is in the same direction as North on the compass. So what you see in front of you on the map is actually in front of you on the ground/landscape.

Correct lining up with North is also easy if you use Viewranger.
Too little, too late, too bad......

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:23:55, 05/04/18 »
The advice recommends Naismith's Rule as a guide to how long a walk will take. However this assumes a walking speed of 3 miles per hour. Naismith was a very fit walker and I doubt an average walker would achieve this speed in the country, over stiles etc. Similarly, I doubt anyone who does not achieve the 3mph would achieve his ascent speed.

I have created a walking time calculator on my website, where I have tried to take account of this and would be interested in anyone's experience as to how well it works. Just Google "Walking Time Calculator" which should find it.

Let me know via email if you like - see contact page on website.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:49:01, 05/04/18 »
The advice recommends Naismith's Rule as a guide to how long a walk will take. However this assumes a walking speed of 3 miles per hour. Naismith was a very fit walker and I doubt an average walker would achieve this speed in the country, over stiles etc. Similarly, I doubt anyone who does not achieve the 3mph would achieve his ascent speed.

I have created a walking time calculator on my website, where I have tried to take account of this and would be interested in anyone's experience as to how well it works. Just Google "Walking Time Calculator" which should find it.

Let me know via email if you like - see contact page on website.

If you want a headache try these https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith%27s_rule
and https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobler%27s_hiking_function
IIRC the route planner in MemoryMap has a customisable element to estimate route times. The OS mapping tool also has a crude version of Naismith that can be customised.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:36:07, 08/04/18 »
I find Naysmiths rule works pretty well up to about 15 miles.  Though obviously if you have tough ground scrambling up scree or trudging through peat bogs and thick tussucks, then it can be unrealistic.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:17:58, 09/04/18 »
Correct lining up with North is also easy if you use Viewranger.

Or any GPS  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy