Author Topic: Rules for the Lakes?  (Read 1918 times)

reetbomofo

Rules for the Lakes?
« on: 01:08:41, 24/01/07 »
Hi, I'm starting up hiking again after a few years away from it, and was wondering a few things. First off, where abouts around Windermere and Ambleside would people recommend for hiking/trekking, and where should I avoid? Secondly, what are the rules with regards to camping in the Lake District? Obviously it's national park, so I was wondering what the rules and regulations are. Thanks, Andy.

Snowman

Re: Rules for the Lakes?
« Reply #1 on: 13:39:19, 12/02/07 »
You should be able to get this information from the website, although my understanding is that you can't legally camp anywhere without the owner's permission.     Having said that, I have seen tents on the higher slopes before, and I imagine that provided you follow the 'unwritten' rule, i.e. there should be no sign you were ever there when you leave, then no-one will be too worried.    Never done it myself so no guarantees.

As to where to walk around Windermere/Ambleside, my personal opinion is anywhere BUT Windermere/Ambleside, unless of course you like your mountain walks to be like Oxford Circus.

S.

reetbomofo

« Reply #2 on: 18:05:43, 12/02/07 »
Lol, yeh I've heard it's quite busy  >:(

Sacked off the wild camping for now, too much hassle. Thanks anyways :)

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 11:29:19, 13/02/07 »
You're welcome.

Don't blame you re. the wild camping.   I've done it a few times when I've absolutely had to (not the Lakes though) and I like it enough not to want to do it anymore.    Having said that I'm planning a trip for later in the year where there's absolutely nowhere to stay.

But back to where to walk, take a look at one of my favourites, the Dunnerdale Fells.    It's not high compared to some of the other areas around the lakes, but I've been out there twice.   The first time I saw 2 people all day (and one of them was a Tornado pilot complete with Tornado) and the last time one man and a dog.   I start somewhere around Ulpha and walk out to Caw in a roundabout way.    Caw isn't far from The Old Man, but just isn't popular which is great if you like a nice remote walk.

Cheers, S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy