Author Topic: Walking in Kerry  (Read 2878 times)

physioneil

Walking in Kerry
« on: 19:03:25, 18/09/12 »
Off to Kerry in November. Apart from the chronic lack of footpaths, any other gems of info?

Nice walks?
Which maps?
Nice pubs at end of walks? ;)

I know naff all about Ireland, so any advice you have is welcome.

Cheers

yeti

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking in Kerry
« Reply #1 on: 19:26:04, 18/09/12 »
R.I.P. Dave.

physioneil

« Reply #2 on: 19:30:51, 18/09/12 »

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:03:42, 18/09/12 »
I've only done a couple of walk on the Dingle Peninsula where a friend lives.  It was some time ago now so I don't remember the routes but my friend did go and check with the local landowners if they minded us walking on their land first as the rights of way in Ireland are different to ours - might be worth a google to find out just in case.

Other than that I'd say talk to the locals, get into the pubs, expect the unexpected and you'll have a mad and fantastic time  ;D O0

dannyt

« Reply #4 on: 13:53:37, 19/09/12 »
Hi,

You could walk the Kerry Way or climb Carrauntoohil, Ireland's highest mountain, which is near Killarney. Google osi.ie for relevant map(s).

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:29:39, 19/09/12 »
Harvey maps MacGillycuddy's Reeks is the one you want if you want to climb Carrauntoohil
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

map mad kedge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:53:18, 19/09/12 »
We stayed at Kilgarvan near to Kenmare. Fantastic area. Kenmare boasts loads of fab tyically Irish pubs & from there you can connect with the 'Kerry Way' which routes through Sneem. On the Beara Pennisula there is the  Beara Way. Killarney National Park is very touristy but also very beautiful with the wonderful Macgillycuddy's Reeks. And I recommend Glengarriff on the Beara Way. The Irish will look after you, don't worry. O0
All I want for Christmas is peace of mind.

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:55:40, 19/09/12 »
Enjoyed a wonderful week in Kerry about 10 years ago. We stayed in Ventry (near Dingle) and Killarney. Mount Brandon and Carrantouhill were the 2 main walks along with a wander around Valentia Island and some cracking beaches on the Ring of Kerry. I posted some pics and stuff on this thread http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14344.15

Great place to visit.
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

physioneil

« Reply #8 on: 17:51:07, 21/09/12 »
Thanks for all the tips folks. Plenty to chew on there O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy