Author Topic: three great mountains.....lol  (Read 6747 times)

titaniumdude

three great mountains.....lol
« on: 00:40:41, 13/05/07 »
Last weekend we went to Wales (duh!) and did what I planned for last november before I got leg injuries.  We summitted Snowdon via Crib Goch, nearly summitted Tryfan and had a nice stroll up Cadair Idris.

Crib Goch.

Was amazing.  The level of exposure on some parts of this scramble is awsome at some points (I'm still scrubbing the gussets of my performance shreddies ;D ).  I'm not an overly experienced climber, but fortunately my mate was so route finding was not a prob.  I'd originally planned tio do this on the last day of the trip as a climax, but the weather forecast was so good for saturday it had to be.  Totally cloud free summit.  Wind less than 10mph.  Dry.  You coul;d see Anglesey if you could drag your eyes off the ridge for a second.  Having said that it was busy.  Even a couple of guys taking dogs up there which may have depleted my sense of achievement if I was arsed (still dunno how they did it ).  Mrs TD beaned it a bit, but she got across. The last time she did Snowdon she had major vertigo so totally hats off to her.

lots of pics....

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

titaniumdude

Re: three great mountains.....lol
« Reply #1 on: 00:46:16, 13/05/07 »
More pics....
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

titaniumdude

« Reply #2 on: 00:49:39, 13/05/07 »
We planned to summit Tryfan by the easy(ish) North Ridge, but the weather was that bad on the second day of our trip that I didn't feel confident enough to do it without protection (maybe my lack of experience).  So we just circled it and descended.  Still a great day.

titaniumdude

« Reply #3 on: 01:05:05, 13/05/07 »
Cadair Idris was a challenge, because the weather had really rolled in from the coast.  50mph gusts, constant rain and we hit the clouds as soon as we ascended from the lake.  Found a couple of poor folks stranded in the summit shelter who had been there for nearly 2 hours unable to move cos they had no map or compass or [censored] really.  Luckily for them a chap turned up just before us who knew the mountain well and between us we guided them across the ridge.  They had already called mountain rescue, but said chap was able to assure them that they would be lead off safely and allow the MR guy to turn back.  He seemed like a really nice bloke who insisted we carry on our route once we'd crossed the ridge and found the escape route parallelling the fence.  We got a bit lost in the clouds after that and decided to take a different descent following the river down.  Interesting and less walked path with steep drops on the side.  Made it to the bottom and headed off towards the carpark.  Funny thing is our 'escape route' was only yards from th path I couldin't be arsed to find at the top.  Won't comment on the folks we found in the shelter as they were really nice folks who had just made a bad choice.  Do wish they'd accepted my persistent offers of a warming brew though.  Pride I suppose.

pics I s'pose.  Not many cos the weather was diabolical....but you know you love it.....lol

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:20:31, 13/05/07 »
Execellent write-up, TD.

You sound like you had a really good time, but that was quite a dramatic moment there on top of Cadair Idris, and was a good job for those straded climbers that you guys and the other chap found them, could have been horrendous.  :o

Some of your pictures from Crib Goch look as though they've come straight from a climbing magazine, most noticeably Morecrib2 and Morecrib4.  Did the fact that it was som busy spoil the experience at all?

Keep 'em coming, bro!  ;)

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 00:15:26, 14/05/07 »
Great post, TD.

Stunning pics.

Wilko

« Reply #6 on: 11:55:17, 05/07/07 »
Hi TD

Those pics look great.

Me and Mrs Wilko are looking at Snowdon via Crib Goch and those pics give me an added idea of what it'll be like (weather permitting).

David

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy