Author Topic: Best value waterproof jacket?  (Read 3337 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Best value waterproof jacket?
« Reply #15 on: 23:04:42, 11/09/19 »
I can't afford expensive branded gear which must explain why everyone walks way ahead of me in group walks.  Obviously I respect this and make no attempt to catch them up, which, in any case, would render me even hotter and sweatier in my boil-in-the bag Regatta  ;)   :D
  Get hold of some of that counterfeit money Mel and go on a shopping spree!
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 03:11:11, 12/09/19 »
I can't afford expensive branded gear which must explain why everyone walks way ahead of me in group walks.  Obviously I respect this and make no attempt to catch them up, which, in any case, would render me even hotter and sweatier in my boil-in-the bag Regatta  ;)   :D

Everyone knows you go faster the more expensive your gear is!

I can't afford it either but that didn't stop me buying mid-range.

I feel sorry for you Mel. I had a Regatta Birchdale coat. Supposedly waterproof and breathable. The water soaked through and it cooked me to the point I wouldn't walk when expecting rain and chose to get wet rather than put it on, on more than one occasion. I was told Regatta were a good budget make too!

I'd start a get Mel a mid-range waterproof fund if I thought enough people would don in. I could spare a tenner I think for a good cause but doubt it would work out.  :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:06:19, 12/09/19 »
I’ll chip in.  Nobody wants to be seen out with a shabbily dressed walker. Mel deserves better!
I have a Regatta waterproof jacket that I get wet in whether its raining or not.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:17:15, 12/09/19 »
I feel strongly that what I did about waterproof jackets is the way forward for anyone who doesn't want to buy or can't afford to buy expensive wet weather gear. Based on my own experience of hiking, I believe strongly that rain is far less a problem than we may want to believe it is. When I started hiking I bought an expensive jacket (over £200) and waterproof leggings (£40) because I looked at and read up about it and believed the marketing people, the fantastic photos and the 'experts,' it all made sense.

But as I gained REAL knowledge it no longer made sense! So I had a rethink and eventually made the decision to separate ALL wet weather clothing from ALL of the other clothing I wear. I own some 'expensive clothes' but they are only purchased for dry, windy, cold and hot weather. I now know that I will not buy 'expensive' wet weather clothing again because I now strongly believe that it's not at all necessary! When it rains. all that I want to achieve is to be dry and that is a very easy and cheap problem to solve. I know this because I have done it! I'm always looking for a 'better' jacket and by that, I mean a more lightweight material (I have no problem at all with my jackets design or colour) but as yet I have not found one.

I also readily admit that I like clothing where I can feel that when hiking I 'look good enough' in the hiking fashion sense, but when it's raining, even if I owned the most expensive jacket on earth, I don't care about 'looking good' in any way, I just want to stay dry.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:25:46, 12/09/19 »
Well it can't hurt to get Mel looking fashionable in a jacket many people like even if you have found a better solution GWM. Fancy a Marmot Precip Mel? They're £70 here. I'll don in £10, not sure how much ninthace will chip in. If anyone else is up for it I'll start a thread for it and maybe a funding website though they take some of the money so it might be better just to give it to Mel if we can get up to £70, on the understanding it's for a waterproof  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:46:13, 12/09/19 »
It's not about looking good, gwm, it's about staying dry in the foulest of conditions.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:48:05, 12/09/19 »
Appreciate the gesture and intentions but my comment was written with my tongue very firmly  in my cheek.  I'm quite happy with my Regatta jacket, it has all the features I want and need.  It is perfectly suited FOR ME for about 95% of the walks I do regularly.  The other 5% where a bit of unpleasant clamminess is to be had is not worth me forking out £100+ quid (plus clever layering all but solves that issue anyway).

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:43:58, 12/09/19 »
Glad it suits O0 No worries. You can thank me by teaching me map and compass at a forum meet  ;D

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:55:36, 12/09/19 »
We're all different and have different requirements.

For me, I want waterproofs that are as light as possible as well as being waterproof and as breathable as possible.

I walk in all weathers and have never not gone walking because of rain. However, in my experience (which is mostly in Kent) it almost never rains for an entire walk. I walk briskly, so if the rain stops, I shove my jacket back in my backpack and if the rain starts, I get it out again.

If rain is even a remote possibility I carry my Berghaus Paclite jacket because at 350g it's no burden at all and takes up very little space. If rain is probable or if it's pouring when I set off, I take my Rohan Vertex which is a little heavier at about 500g.

The point I'm making is this... there may well be very cheap waterproof jackets/coats and even some that are not too sweaty, but since they spend most of their time being carried in my backpack I want mine to be very light and packable as well.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:19:26, 12/09/19 »
That's fine Mel - I respect your wishes.  If we ever go out together, please make sure you walk in the other group.  I don't want you detracting from my sartorial elegance  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:41:32, 12/09/19 »
Yes, WhitstableDave, I certainly agree with you when you write 'but since they spend most of their time being carried in my backpack I want mine to be very light and packable as well.' I did consider buying the Berghaus Paclight after I decided that my Paramo Alta 2 was not what I wanted, but in the end, I bought a Marmot Precip because I couldn't really establish what made the difference in price between the two? When I wore mine it always worked well with my rain-skirt. It was only when the Marmot leaked around the neck (after a couple of years) I decided to go off on my own route for keeping dry.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #26 on: 20:10:07, 12/09/19 »
Suggest you look for the quality makers on Ebay: Mountain equipment, Rab, Montane, Berghaus. I've got two ME shells made from Drilite which is cheaper than Gore-tex.
Dave

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:51:07, 12/09/19 »
Glad it suits O0 No worries. You can thank me by teaching me map and compass at a forum meet  ;D

You already know what you need to know.  It's just practicing it now  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy