Author Topic: VR - Skiddaw in the snow  (Read 2688 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: VR - Skiddaw in the snow
« Reply #15 on: 16:05:55, 11/01/18 »
...I forgot to ask, did you have to use your ice axes at all?

Beefy used his axe on the very steep bit half way up from Carlside Col to Skiddaw, look at the very close contour lines on your OS map, we both put crampons on when we reached the start of the path, half the snow was hard compacted stuff with some softer snow that covered harder snow. I used my poles on this part but I nearly did get my axe out. If I didn't have my poles the axe would have been out. There were a few people descending here, we saw 4, who had no microspikes, crampon or ice axes. They were not only risking a slip and a long way to fall for themselves but for anyone else they "took out" who was on the way up.

The tourist path up and down Skiddaw was manageable , there were a few people without anything on their feet but if it had been hard ice, people without foot protection would have spent more time on their bottoms.
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:45:18, 11/01/18 »
Great video beefy, really liked Bass Lake with the coledale fells beyond; snow really adds to the scenery. :)  Do you think there is a slightest possibility that the central fells might have some snow for me this week-end? ;D :D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:21:06, 11/01/18 »
@Mel, I went up the path to Skiddaw from Carl Side col  last Friday I got up ok but did get the feeling that my microspikes  were only just about coping. But as April says there were people coming down with no spikes at all although it did look hard work

Ahh, right.  Cheers karl h.  I'm getting the impression microspikes are less reliable on steeper slopes (probably due to the flexible/rubber way they attach to your footwear).

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:01:34, 11/01/18 »
I enjoyed your video, very well put together. Looks like a great walk, with some fantastic scenery.

thanks tom83  O0

Got a better PC so I can watch your vids on something bigger than my phone ;)

Superb as usual, sunshine, blue sky and snow there is nothing finer O0

thanks karl  O0
pics on your blog are fab  8)

...I forgot to ask, did you have to use your ice axes at all?
April answered that one  :)

Really great stuff Beefy, am I am getting very strong hints of improved technique, not that I am an adept in this media, but it does seem that there are some improved editing skills being used.

Having once worked in a creative media, though very different from Photography, it is a sense that I am picking up, enjoying watching it happen and enjoying your stuff, where it is taking me and how you are developing.

thanks barewirewalker  O0
a bit of practice makes all the difference, then again i have done over 700 videos  ;D
thanks for your kind words ATB beefy 8)

Wow, that was just beautiful, Beefy - great stuff!  O0

cheers adalard  O0

Great video beefy     :)     The snow looks beautiful in the sunshine

thank you Dovegirl  :)

Up there? t-h-e-r-e lol
I am happier to have watched that than have to use all that kit!
Must be getting old................... :-\
Great scenery n footage  O0

thanks pleb  O0
its your round  :D

Great video beefy, really liked Bass Lake with the coledale fells beyond; snow really adds to the scenery. :)  Do you think there is a slightest possibility that the central fells might have some snow for me this week-end? ;D :D

cheers henry
err probably not  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:51:25, 12/01/18 »
Great stuff beefy, enjoyed that  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:56:41, 12/01/18 »
As you say on the vid beautiful. The monochrome section with the blue sky at the beginning of the music looks amazing.

Looks like you managed to scare away the slugs.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:59:45, 12/01/18 »
Looks like you managed to scare away the slugs.

We managed to get the summit to ourselves in between two groups of "young" people. They were a bit loud and boisterous but it was great to see them out on the high fells enjoying the Lake District. Zip Wires not needed Mike Turner!
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:36:30, 16/01/18 »
beefy - you were correct - no snow on the central fells this time ;D  maybe I'll have better luck next month :D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:29:28, 16/01/18 »
beefy - you were correct - no snow on the central fells this time ;D  maybe I'll have better luck next month :D
Plenty of snow about ATM Henry  ;D

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:36:20, 16/01/18 »
Sods law - the day after I fly home ;D ;D ;D  Just hope I can get drive down my lane tomorrow otherwise I might have to walk to work with my crampons on ;D ;D ;D ;D

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:22:35, 19/01/18 »
Really enjoyed the video Beefy and fantastic scenery. The drone does add significantly to the videos. Thanks for sharing  O0

Good to see April back to her active self. Keep fit for 2018.

Regards Keith

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 19:07:01, 20/01/18 »

Thanks Welsh Rambler, we will be out wild camping as soon as the weather warms up a bit  :) Can't wait for that first sunset.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:31:47, 22/01/18 »
Really enjoyed the video Beefy and fantastic scenery. The drone does add significantly to the videos. Thanks for sharing  O0

Regards Keith
Thanks Welsh  rambler O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy