Author Topic: South Cumbria -- Whitbarrow  (Read 1857 times)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
South Cumbria -- Whitbarrow
« on: 17:36:42, 30/01/08 »
30th January 2008

South Cumbria -- Outlying Fells -- Whitbarrow

Back in the south of the county again today to visit one of our favourites amongst the Outlying Fells. We left the car near Gilpin Bridge and made our way past Raven's Lodge to make our way up onto the ridge leading to the summit cairn at Lord's Seat. Our return was down into the Lyth Valley using forest tracks. Pictures are now available.

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: South Cumbria -- Whitbarrow
« Reply #1 on: 17:57:51, 30/01/08 »
I didnt go out today!!! Despite the fact that it was a really nice day..
fab pics as usual Kidstypike.... but no report from me this time!!

I did nick off to bag lots of HuMPs yesterday, but you could hardly call it walking - Yearsley Cross at Yearsley nr Coxwold distance= 3 metres, ascent, too small to measure, Bishop Wilton Wold, not , apparently near anywhere, but in Blisterland, on the road to Driffield , distance 60 metres, ascent 2 metres (climbed a gate twice), Olivers Mount, Scarborough distance 50 metres, ascent 1 metres, Seamer Beacon,Scarborough distance 3 km (!) , ascent 40 metres (I was a bit tired after that one) and finally, Brow Moor (Ravenscar) distance 100 metres, ascent 1 or 2 metres.
Ticks: 1 Marilyn and 5 HuMPs (a Marilyn is also a HuMP, so thats 2 ticks for the price of one)  Total distance = about 150 miles. (does this count?)
I feel ashamed and a bit grubby after that sort of behaviour!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:47:28, 30/01/08 »
Enlighten me Mike. Is a HuMP just a mispelt HUMP or does it stand for something?
Dave

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:45:06, 30/01/08 »
A HuMP (correct capitation) is a new(ish) category of hill which has one Hundred Metres of Prominence - that is, it sticks out from the surrounding landscape by at least 100 metres.  So,HuMPs usually have quite a good view and there are around 2900 HuMPs distributed throughout the UK - something to do for people who live in less bumpy parts of the UK.
Details of your local HuMPs can be found on www.hill-bagging.co.uk or in the files section of the yahoo group RHB.
All Marilyns (150 metres of prominence) are also HuMPs - so Scafell Pike is a Marilyn and a HuMP, but Scafell is just a HuMP...
Driving around the countryside looking for outrageously easy hills to bag with as little actual walking as possible, just to get a bagload of ticks is reprehensible, though and a symptom of a descent into depravity and I'll probably go to walking hell. (aka Lincolnshire)
Thats "Hu"ndred "M"etre "P"rominence (s) O0

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:23:08, 30/01/08 »
Thanks for that Mike, I've just had a look at the "hill bagging" site and found that I've done most of them around here.
I think I'll stick with just going where I please though.
Dave

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:54:44, 30/01/08 »
 I know a few folk who collect Wainwrights.  ;) Some of them are on their second or third "round".   Its probably the only reason anybody ever goes to Mungrisdale Common and, possibly Binsey (although some people like Binsey) - and they don't go to Swinside 'cos its not a "Wainwright".

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:35:48, 30/01/08 »
I know a few folk who collect Wainwrights.  ;) Some of them are on their second or third "round".   Its probably the only reason anybody ever goes to Mungrisdale Common and, possibly Binsey (although some people like Binsey) - and they don't go to Swinside 'cos its not a "Wainwright".

Well I have to hold my hand up and say we are "doing" our 2nd round of the Wainwright Fells but it's not a priority. Just that we didn't have the camera 1st time round. It was last October when we last did a "Wainwright" and still got 84 to go.
Dave

kkm

« Reply #7 on: 22:43:58, 30/01/08 »
A HuMP (correct capitation) is a new(ish) category of hill which has one Hundred Metres of Prominence - that is, it sticks out from the surrounding landscape by at least 100 metres.  So,HuMPs usually have quite a good view and there are around 2900 HuMPs distributed throughout the UK - something to do for people who live in less bumpy parts of the UK.
Details of your local HuMPs can be found on www.hill-bagging.co.uk or in the files section of the yahoo group RHB.
All Marilyns (150 metres of prominence) are also HuMPs - so Scafell Pike is a Marilyn and a HuMP, but Scafell is just a HuMP...
Driving around the countryside looking for outrageously easy hills to bag with as little actual walking as possible, just to get a bagload of ticks is reprehensible, though and a symptom of a descent into depravity and I'll probably go to walking hell. (aka Lincolnshire)
Thats "Hu"ndred "M"etre "P"rominence (s) O0

lol....i'm confused........................................not that it takes much....................... :) i never knew there was so much to this walking lark...... ;D

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:09:56, 30/01/08 »
Kidstypike - It took me 20 years to do a Wainwright round (finished on Barf in March 1990) - I dont think I've done another round but some hills get many repeat visits and others I have neglected.
And Ive discovered a few Lake District hills that aren't Wainwrights that I haven't (yet) climbed.  But I'm on to them! They can't hold out for much longer!

kkm - Confused? You will be! This is just the start! ...Have a look at the hill-bagging website, there's lots of other types of hills. It can all get a bit nerdy and sad -  like collecting stamps or train numbers... You dont have to do it though.....

You could collect LDPs instead!!

Or as well....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy