Author Topic: Starter Camping Kit  (Read 1909 times)

Lee R

Re: Starter Camping Kit
« Reply #15 on: 20:57:23, 23/05/20 »
I personally would also think in the long term as well, would you and you son ant some later date like to go off and do your own thing. If you want to think that way I would go for two one-man tents. I thought that way with my son, I bought one-man units, I carried on but he as a 31-year-old is now no longer interested. Never mind, I now have tent choices and if he wants to he can always start to hike sometime in the future, his tent will still be in our garage.

Thank for the input & opinions on all of this everyone.

That makes sense. My boy is 14, lives with his mum (& my elder daughter) but I see them very regular (well, not with Covid but under normal circumstances!) so 2 separate tents wouldn't be an issue. What I need to do is find out how the other half really feels about wild camping because there's no way she would sleep in a tent on her own.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:17:06, 24/05/20 »
What I need to do is find out how the other half really feels about wild camping because there's no way she would sleep in a tent on her own.

Hmm yes, better to go for a two man if there is any chance that she might come.

There's lots of modestly priced Chinese tents out there if you don't want to risk too much money initially. This sort of design is popular, similar to the MSR HubbaHubba, with a spar protruding over the entrances for extra apace.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bessport-Camping-Person-Lightweight-Backpacking/dp/B07XG3NQFV/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=lightweight%2Btent&qid=1590308354&sr=8-4-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHUEtLRU1HRDRMSEgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMzMyMzFXTUdXWlowTUJKMEsmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDkzNTA0OTNTWUxKQlQxNEVDRjImd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Not that I am recommending this particular model - just an example of what you can get on a budget.
« Last Edit: 09:24:50, 24/05/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:26:36, 24/05/20 »
Also - best to choose an inconspicuous colour, such as dull green.

No need for camo - you want to be discreet rather than give the impression that you are trying to hide - could give the wrong impression - survivalist instead of wild camper.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:07:17, 24/05/20 »
I agree dull colours are best and that's what I've always disliked about my Marmot Pulsar 1P Tent, it's bright orange!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:00:06, 24/05/20 »
deleted
« Last Edit: 12:48:47, 24/05/20 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy