Author Topic: Garmin eTrex 10 - Share Location  (Read 836 times)

johnberman

Garmin eTrex 10 - Share Location
« on: 16:55:59, 04/06/18 »
I have recently take possession of my Garmin eTrex 10 ( i could not stretch to the 20)

I have used it locally and it seem to work fine, I have read the various threads around elevation issues and can cope with that

Is there a way I can share my location from the device some so people can see where I am ?

Regards
John B

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin eTrex 10 - Share Location
« Reply #1 on: 18:47:21, 04/06/18 »
Not that I am aware of.
It's all uphill from here.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:19:25, 05/06/18 »
No.  But Google viewranger buddy beacon.
Where there's a will ...

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:09:48, 06/06/18 »
I remember investigating this feature at least ten years ago, maybe more. I made a post on one of the walking or technical forums about the little known Memory-Map tracking application that worked in the same way as Viewranger BuddyBeacon, displaying the current position on a PC/Phone screen on OS mapping to anyone logged in with the username/PIN.
I expected considerable enthusiasm but the post didn't get a single reply, nobody was interested.

Anyway, on the technical side, these solutions have a fatal weakness: they rely on the cellphone network. If there's no phone signal, which is often the case in remote areas, it's game over. Yet this is exactly where it would be most useful.

To be effective such systems must work via SAT. The SPOT satellite tracker was launched with much fanfare about the same time as MM Tracker and appeared to offer a great solution, sleeping most of the time but waking periodically to send a location via SAT to a server, hence it had a superb battery life. The experiences of testers were mixed to say the least, some reporting that the many of the broadcasts were never received by the server - there is no receipt acknowledgement for a broadcast.

johnberman

« Reply #4 on: 11:50:49, 20/07/18 »
Hi

I ended up using the Beacon Buddy facility on viewranger and it worked a treat - when there was no signal it stored the info and then sent it when back on line

http://www.viewranger.com/buddybeacon/v2/?bb[0][email protected];1234&date_from=24/06/2018&date_to=09/07/2018&timezone=Europe/London#userbar_top

John B
« Last Edit: 11:54:41, 20/07/18 by johnberman »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy