Author Topic: Farmer escapes jail after cows kill man  (Read 7193 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Farmer escapes jail after cows kill man
« Reply #30 on: 00:16:04, 11/12/16 »
I don't think there's any need for personal attacks - DA is perfectly entitled to his views.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 10:16:30, 11/12/16 »
One answer to the problem is not to insist that farmers don't have their castle in fields with rights of way, but to alter access legislation so that it would be perfectly legal for a walker to take a safer route. This would also help to protect in-lamb sheep and any other animals which may be nervous or aggressive. In effect, this would bring England and Wales into line with Scotland

This of course is the common sense option and has been mentioned many times on this forum. Few here will differentiate between Farmer and Landowner but there is a clear difference, both historically and professionally. It seems to me that the Farmers professional lobby group have chosen to leave the arguments relating to access to the organization, which lobbies for landowner interest. This tend to increase the bad attitudes of those individual owner/occupiers, whose attitudes are not prepared to move with the times.
As a one time farmer, friends and acquaintances from those times, often make unguarded remarks to me. This reveals thinking and attitudes supporting the sort of negligence revealed by this farmer's actions. To my thinking it is unfortunate that leniency due to man's age has diverted stronger action.

Why am I concerned? I questioned DA's attitude because I think this malaise is deeper, after being verbally abused by a landowner a few years ago I followed up by contacting CLA, NFU, Rights of Way dept. etc. One RoW enforcement officer asked me the age of my abuser. His reason, my reply reinforced his recognition that these attitudes were growing in the younger generation of farmer owner/occupiers. This has coincided with the increase of membership recruitment activity by the CLA.

At a time when the British Farmer needs the support of the customers and neighbours more than ever, the value of the access network for public relations between our producers of food and their customers should not be soured by outdated and selfish attitudes about property rights.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:17:49, 20/12/16 »
If my remarks seem a little out of turn, how then can i explain a herd of cows stampeding at considerable speed towards me, in the field above Porth Wen brickworks near Bull Bay on Anglesey.
I know had i been daft enough to stand my ground, then i would no doubt have been seriously injured or killed.

The small swing gate on the opposite side of the field, facing semaphore hill, thankfully was within reaching distance.

When i reached the safety of the dividing fence, the cows still extremely agitated, were still running up and down the perimeter of the field.

Cows, Bullocks and Bulls, are very unpredictable animals, if one gets in the way of very excited animals then the consequences can sometimes be fatal.

I feel its unjust holding land owners and farmers accountable for the behaviour of very unpredictable animals.

If the animals owner, has done everything within their power, to protect members of the public from coming into direct contact with these animals, then its very unfair to prosecute them.

Blame for these most unfortunate events, must always be looked for, so that the wanton behaviour of sometimes unpredictable creatures can be passed on to their owner, even if the owner has done everything to contain these animals in as safe an environment as possible.

We take the risk of entering that field full of cows, because 99% of the time they show little or no interest in us.

When these very rare events take place, we must always assume its the owners fault, almost as if he has personally trained his beasts to attack certain people.

Are we to go down the road, and lock up every farm animal away from potential danger to the public, or are we always looking for blame, when tragic events like this happen.

Cows, Horses and other animals, do not think or behave like us, why then are their owners always held responsible for their actions ?.

In this instance, i feel the correct verdict was reached.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:16:08, 20/12/16 »
Really?  Had it been a one off I'd have agreed with you, but this guy ignored numerous warnings so surely the fault lays with him for not taking action?
Where there's a will ...

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:53:13, 21/12/16 »
Really?  Had it been a one off I'd have agreed with you, but this guy ignored numerous warnings so surely the fault lays with him for not taking action?

O0  agree.

Appeasement is dangerous, clearly professional negligence and bad for the public face of farming. Landowners try to hide behind the good image forged by many generations of farmers but now they trying to take a more active part their attitudes impart arrogance to those occupiers of the countryside, whose management skills should be moving into the 21st century and not the 19th.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy