Author Topic: SOuth west coastal path - tips please  (Read 13300 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: SOuth west coastal path - tips please
« Reply #15 on: 20:38:02, 16/09/17 »
I did that by B&B. I just walked until 5pm, and then knocked on doors of B&Bs.
That is what I did although I took my tent just in case.  It does give you the freedom to walk without worrying whether you find a B&B or not.  As I was walking by myself for nearly 6 weeks I thought that I may have trouble finding single accommodation especially with bank holidays issues.  However I didn't need the tent at all but it was certainly worth taking it without cooking stuff etc. as I didn't need to book accommodation in advance apart from Clovelly where I thought that may prove difficult to find.

Theo Frum

« Reply #16 on: 15:34:16, 17/09/17 »
I didn't need to book accommodation in advance apart from Clovelly where I thought that may prove difficult to find.
My first year ended at Clovelly, the hotel on the quayside was a bit steep so I stayed at the B&B I used two days previously at Bideford before catching the bus/train home. The following year I booked this cottage from home, and also the Hartland Quay hotel. Those two were my only bookings.

I came close to missing out at Braunton because it was RAF Chivenor airshow day, and ended up sleeping in one house, and having breakfast next door. I drew a blank at Holbeton and Ermington, and then someone offered a lift when they saw me walking to Ivybridge, I also walked inland to Aveton Gifford too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:19:02, 17/09/17 »
My first year ended at Clovelly, the hotel on the quayside was a bit steep so I stayed at the B&B I used two days previously at Bideford before catching the bus/train home. The following year I booked this cottage from home, and also the Hartland Quay hotel. Those two were my only bookings.

I came close to missing out at Braunton because it was RAF Chivenor airshow day, and ended up sleeping in one house, and having breakfast next door. I drew a blank at Holbeton and Ermington, and then someone offered a lift when they saw me walking to Ivybridge, I also walked inland to Aveton Gifford too.
Worry not about the RAF Chivenor air show. The Bootnecks took the base over some years ago and aviation has virtually ceased  >:( . They  still have an open day but now it is all about Royal Marines and draws a smaller crowd.

If anyone wants recent gps traces of the North Devon SWCP, I have posted some covering virtually all of the coast on Haroldstreet.org.uk and gpsies.com. Main missing section is Fremington Quay to Chivenor. I am waiting for this winter to do it. I have also posted odd sections in South Devon/Somerset/Dorset/Cornwall.
« Last Edit: 18:25:19, 17/09/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy