Author Topic: What compact camera?  (Read 2322 times)

buntonn

What compact camera?
« on: 09:25:58, 13/04/17 »
I would like to look at a compact camera to carry in my rucksack for hiking/Trekking and expeditions that is fairly small and light. I have a Fuji XT-1 but this is way to big for what I want. I am looking for something to take good video and well as stills. I have the iPhone 7 plus which is good, but need something with a zoom lens at times.

Would like to hear any recommendations. I am not too worried about it being rugged as I am very careful with my gear and it will be packed well and protected.

Thanks,
Nick

Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: What compact camera?
« Reply #1 on: 11:09:19, 13/04/17 »
Hi buntonn and welcome to the forum.  I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ30 and find it an excellent camera.  It is very compact and has a 20x optical zoom lens that takes really clear photos.  Like you I used to have a larger camera but found it too heavy and bulky to carry when walking.  I carry my Panasonic in a case that slides onto my rucksack waist strap so that it is handy to get at when needed. 
I know that others on here have a Sony compact camera that is very similar to the Panasonic and also comes highly recommended, but I have no personal knowledge of this model so don't know which is the better camera.

buntonn

« Reply #2 on: 11:31:20, 13/04/17 »
Thank you, that looks like a nice camera, not too worried about RAW for what I need this camera for either. I used to have a Lumix some years back and it was a great camera then, so I'll have to check this out next time I am near a supplier. I'll see what others get mentioned too.

Thanks again  O0

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:00:13, 13/04/17 »
The Sony RX100 is my current choice of Compact. Great lens and a big 1" sensor, and very versatile for the creative among us.
I've had (still have) a couple of Lumix bridge cameras. The panasonics are a great camera, I used a TZ7 for a while and liked that too.
I also use a Canon, but it's really too bulky for carting round the fells on a day out. Having decided to buy a compact for those days I did a fair bit of research and ended up at the Sony
You can see some sample pics if you like at my Flickr link below.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:10:18, 14/04/17 »
I've been using a Canon Powershot D30 which is water and shock proof, and small enough to fit into a pocket. I wanted waterproof for kayaking. I'm quite pleased with it but found it a little limited for wildlife photo's. So, I've just brought a Canon Powershot SX420 more of a bridge camera than a compact, unfortunately this one isn't waterproof and needs a waterproof case. I haven't had the chance to use it yet so this weekend will be it's maiden trip. 

Kukkudrill

« Reply #5 on: 14:09:05, 14/04/17 »
I have a Sony HX90V. It's a pocket-sized camera with a x30 zoom, a tilting screen, pop-up viewfinder and GPS. I posted a review here:

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=31440.0
Make the most of the available light

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:35:24, 14/04/17 »
I have a Sony HX90V. It's a pocket-sized camera with a x30 zoom, a tilting screen, pop-up viewfinder and GPS. I posted a review here:
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=31440.0

Just acquired a similar Sony DSC-WX500 but it lacks a macro zoom which my Lumix had and which I miss when attempting pics of butterflies/insects or looking deep into flowers. On the other hand the 30x zoom + digital zoom is great for birds, if only for shots  for identification purposes, and I do like the tilt screen helps a lot in sunny situations.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Kukkudrill

« Reply #7 on: 21:48:21, 16/04/17 »
To each their own. I'm not so much into macro photography, but I like long zooms for the creative possibilities they offer. These two shots were both taken with the lens zoomed out.

(The second one is Photoshopped for the grainy effect.)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:55:57, 17/04/17 »
Love the Herdwick sheep and lamb :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

buntonn

« Reply #9 on: 07:53:55, 19/04/17 »
Thanks for all your input here. @hillhiker1 thanks for the spec and great photos!  @kukkadrill Thanks for your info and a great review on that link.

I can now go look at a few when I get a chance and see which feels right for me and go with it.

Thanks again.

Nick

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:39:22, 19/04/17 »
Cheers Buntonn, and thanks for looking. :)

buntonn

« Reply #11 on: 10:41:06, 28/04/17 »
Thank you for all the feedback here, I went to have a look at cameras and went with the Sony SDC-RX100 and I got the Lowepro Santiago 20 hard shell case, it fits lovely and snug in the case and it then taking up minimal space in the backpack. Photo of the camera and case and the other with the camera packed in the case and my GoPro so you can see the packs size.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #12 on: 15:43:49, 29/04/17 »
Good choice. Enjoy it.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy