Author Topic: TR - Snowdon via Moel Eilio, Moel Cynghorion & the Ranger Path  (Read 2616 times)

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Because of the 'ups and downs' this walk is sometimes known as the 'Rollercoaster'. A brilliant day out, great write-up and photos.

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
The Rollercoaster is certainly a snappier title than mine! I really enjoyed it, it's a great day out
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Yep I enjoyed that too  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
Great write up and photos Dave
It's a really nice walk I did it a couple of years ago on a nice sunny day and as it was the end of winter finished in the snow
It was nice and quiet and didn't see anyone till the ranger

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Great write up - that routes been on my to-do list for a while.  I've a week in Snowdonia coming up and that route is now firmly inked in.

Paul

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
I am still amazed how quiet and unfrequented this route up Snowdon remains.

From Waunfawr, ive traversed this route a fair few times over the years, and you occasionally see a few walkers, but ive had the route to myself more than once.

Its not that its difficult to park or reach the start of the undulating path to the top of Moel Elio, but for some reason, its much neglected.

The many paths up Snowdon will be heaving with traffic, and even though this route is ever so close, its almost a hidden secret.

The view of Snowdon from the bottom of  Moel Cynhorion, is the finest there is, yet it receives few walkers.

DK

I love that walk and head up from Waunfawr, I have done it a couple of times and never met anyone else on the route  :)
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Its really strange, its almost as if this area is on private land, and one requires permission from the owner for access.
Thousands of visitors annually drive from Caernarvon towards Waunfawr, and on towards Beddgelert, stopping off at either the Snowdon Ranger or Rhydd Ddu, to climb Snowdon"s southern flanks, and totally ignore the Bwlch Y Groes road, leading up into the quarry above.

I know that its a route, you have to explore and locate, and is not sign posted in any way, but what a magnificent alternative approach to climbing Snowdon for the more experienced walker.

Due to its fairly challenging nature, its not the sort of terrain for a young family visiting Snowdon for the first time, but i am still amazed how few walkers it attracts, and its been the case for many years.

DK

And long may it stay quiet, too splendid a route to be shared too widely  ;)
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

videoman

Great trip report and photos Dave and I have to say I should be ashamed of myself as I have a caravan two miles out of Llanberis and only walked a fraction of your day out.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
I have two friends living in llanberis, and they overlook Snowdon, but have never been to the summit.
On recollection, i do not think they have ventured anywhere near the mountain, even though they have lived there for the best part of forty years, and can see the mountain 24/7

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy