Author Topic: Help rediscover lost ways  (Read 1087 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Help rediscover lost ways
« on: 13:56:11, 27/07/17 »
A copy of Lincolnshire County News popped through my door today. In it I found an article which may be of interest to walkers & history buffs in any of the counties surrounding, and within, Lincolnshire itself.

"Volunteers are needed to help research unrecorded Lincolnshire footpaths and bridleways before they disappear forever"

"In a big rural county like Lincolnshire that's a huge job - but the potential benefits are huge too. We estimate that there are hundreds of lost ways and anomalies - for example , where footpaths or bridleways suddenly stop in the middle of nowhere."

"All unrecorded footpath and bridleway rights will be lost unless they've been recorded by 2026."

Further information if you are interested in helping from [email protected] or 01529460497

Too little, too late, too bad......

rambling oldie

Re: Help rediscover lost ways
« Reply #1 on: 18:40:54, 27/07/17 »
Hampshire had a similar project a few years ago.  PATHH - Providing Access to Hampshire's Heritage.  I tried to volunteer in 2010 but it seems there were limits on how many could be involved. Pity, as I lead a U3A rambling group in Hampshire and our footpath network is of great interest to me.  I'm not sure how things panned out here but good luck with it in Lincs, a very worthy cause.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Help rediscover lost ways
« Reply #2 on: 09:47:50, 27/08/17 »
How many people who use the access network for the leisure and pleasure ask themselves;

"What is a lostway."

These groups researching lostways are try to discover proof that a public right of way existed, so that this proof can be used to legally re-open old footpaths and bridleways, which were not included in the Definitive Map.

But it is common knowledge among'st those who have studied social history of the time that political difference between the active parties, given the task of enacting the intentions of the 1949 Act of Parliament, is the real reason why many miles of rightful Public Right of Way are not on the map.

There is a very simple way to find a lost way, compare early editions of the OS mapping, published from the 1880's with today's OS mapping, which show our public rights of way.

Are these extra ways important? Many add 'continuity of way' to the existing network, which is both a social asset as well as an economic asset in this countries infra structure.

Should such  an important tasks be just the responsibility of small groups of volunteers however enthusiastic or should those authorities, whose mal-administration resulted in the loss of important infrastructure, be taking a more active part.

It is in the constitution of Local Access Forums to take an even handed approach to the interests of landowner and accessee, but it is the predecessors of today's landowners, who corrupted the Definitive Map.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy