Author Topic: New member in Canada  (Read 581 times)

GeoffB

New member in Canada
« on: 14:51:31, 26/08/17 »
Hi, I am originally from the UK but now live in Canada and have to make do with an annual visit to the Lake District every autumn. I always stay at Wasdale Head and walk for a few days in terrain that I remember from my youth in the early 1970s, but I no longer try to pretend I'm capable of walking the way I did in those days!

walkingthedog

Re: New member in Canada
« Reply #1 on: 14:59:58, 26/08/17 »
Hi Geoff welcome to the forum a big change in the weather from UK to Canada. O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:05:03, 26/08/17 »
Welcome from Old Portsmouth

GeoffB

« Reply #3 on: 15:17:27, 26/08/17 »
Hi walkingthedog: A lot of other differences, too. Here in Southern Ontario there is very little countryside where walking is allowed, and the terrain is pretty flat, so I have to fly to the UK once a year to do any decent walking.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:37:50, 26/08/17 »
Sorry, do not understand, can you explain 'there is very little countryside where walking is allowed'?

GeoffB

« Reply #5 on: 15:52:25, 26/08/17 »
Hi gunwharfman! Quite simply, everything is either built on or private, agricultural land! Even in rural areas, we do not have the luxury of public rights of way. Any patch of open countryside is surrounded by fences and "trespassers will be shot" signs. About the only places where there are "hiking trails" are what are known as "Conservation Areas", which are little more than parks with a few kilometres of walking trails. People go walking there for an hour and think they are being very adventurous and energetic. In my local community they are very proud of the "Lower Trent Trail" which is the route of a disused railway: so as you can imagine, not many hills there!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy