Author Topic: Walking trousers  (Read 3330 times)

walkingthedog

Walking trousers
« on: 16:19:24, 26/08/17 »
I'm looking to buy a new pair of walking trousers as the autumn months are arriving quick any advice on which ones to buy as I am budgeting at around the £50 mark. :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking trousers
« Reply #1 on: 16:36:40, 26/08/17 »
Craghoppers kiwi or kiwi stretch pro  O0
Where there's a will ...

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:43:25, 26/08/17 »

+1.
AND. They're currently on offer in Go outdoors... http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/search/go?view=grid&w=kiwi

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:05:16, 26/08/17 »

+at least 5 for Craghopper - that's how many pairs I think I have (could be more) including 2 lined pairs for winter.)
Mrs N has even more pairs - they are good for everyday as well as walking and are a reasonable price from Go.

Solvitur Ambulando

walkingthedog

« Reply #4 on: 17:32:07, 26/08/17 »
Looks like I will be getting the Cragghoppers kiwi or kiwi stretch pro. O0

nesty

« Reply #5 on: 00:01:09, 27/08/17 »
Try them on first if you can. The sizing is very small. IMHO

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:59:50, 27/08/17 »

I'd say particularly with the Stretch Pro ones. I ordered a pair in the usual size I buy in their other trousers and they felt uncomfortably tight on my thighs, which aren't notably large. I have other stretchy trousers from other makes which are fine. I find in the other Craghopper trousers I wear my usual size.

walkingthedog

« Reply #7 on: 07:20:31, 27/08/17 »
Thanks guys will try them on before buying. O0

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:09:23, 27/08/17 »

Not with the standard Kiwis it isn't, that's not my experience.
I always have 3 pair in my wardrobe, they are everyday wear for me.  Below is what I wrote in a review on Amazon in March this year:

"My latest purchase....fit well on the waist (38") and leg length (33") but the thighs are voluminous. They'd be fine on Charles Atlas or a really chunky guy, but I'm sure I could possibly fit both of my slender legs in one trouser leg if I tried. It's like I've bought something from the outsize mens' shop."

And that is true to a greater or lesser extent of every pair I've ever bought.

EDIT: Oops, I tell a lie! I currently have 2 pairs of Kiwis and 1 pair of Trespass 'Clifton' trousers, the latter bought in January for a similar price. They are a nicer cut and fit IMO, though I already have a feeling that they won't have as long a life as the Kiwis.
« Last Edit: 09:17:45, 27/08/17 by fernman »

Jonfun

« Reply #9 on: 14:54:56, 05/09/17 »
Softshell trousers are great for the Autumn/Winter ... I'm sure Alpkit do some within budget, otherwise Blacks seem to have an endless sale on at the mo  ;D

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:10:17, 06/09/17 »
Softshell trousers are great for the Autumn/Winter ... I'm sure Alpkit do some within budget, otherwise Blacks seem to have an endless sale on at the mo  ;D

Yes I have some Decathlon ones which are a sort of stretchy softshell - water repellent, warm when wet, dry fast. I really like them when it gets colder. I don't need to worry about overtrousers unless it's hurling down.

jethro10

« Reply #11 on: 18:37:27, 06/09/17 »

Yes I have some Decathlon ones which are a sort of stretchy softshell - water repellent, warm when wet, dry fast. I really like them when it gets colder. I don't need to worry about overtrousers unless it's hurling down.
Yes, I have similar Decathlon ones. Decathlon is rapidly becoming my go-to place for outdoor clothing.
J

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #12 on: 20:56:43, 09/09/17 »
I personally like Montane Terra trousers. Lightweight and fairly hard wearing, zip pockets. Should be able to get them for about £50

walkingthedog

« Reply #13 on: 15:24:34, 14/09/17 »
Hi and thanks for all the advice I eventually bought some pro stretch trousers and I love them. :)

buntonn

« Reply #14 on: 15:47:32, 14/09/17 »
I love my Craghoppers Classic Kiwi trousers, have one std and two of the convertible and love them, in fact wearing a pair for work right now!  Very good price in Go Outdoors right now as already mentioned above.

My question to this above which the lined version, how much warmer are they?

Thanks
Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy