Author Topic: Totally new help please :)  (Read 6060 times)

Murphy

Re: Totally new help please :)
« Reply #30 on: 22:05:07, 12/09/17 »
I agree with Sunnydale and Fernman.  Same old, and don't want to get involved in petty spats so although I look every day I'm not inclined to post much.  Besides it does sometimes appear there is a bit of a clique ......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 22:27:19, 12/09/17 »
 You do not have to log on to read the forum so it possible the OP has revisited the site to read replies without leaving a trace.
I only log in to post or to use the unread posts filter. While it is polite to post thanking people for their replies, not all posters observe this etiquette. If I posted to a new forum and then was criticised for not posting again within a couple of days I might not stick my head above the parapet again either.
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 23:03:55, 12/09/17 »
..........plus theres reams of trip reports from the lakes, wales, peaks, etc.
I try n spice it up a little with TR's from other places...........

I'm not aware of anyone being bored by trip reports pleb, wherever they are from.  They are an interesting , informative (mostly) part of the forum and often inspire others to get out and do the same walks themselves.
I personally don't tend to read that many reports from (say) the Lakes... but that's only because it's not an area that I particularly crave to walk in/explore. Having said that, I occasionally comment on the photographs people post from the Lakes (and elsewhere) because a lot of them are really lovely. :)

Criticism of others, petty arguments, 'ganging up' on other members, topics that really have no place on a walking forum, thread hijacking.....these are the sort of things that some folk were getting bored/fed-up/annoyed with.

But please, don't shoot the messenger! :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 23:34:11, 12/09/17 »
Besides it does sometimes appear there is a bit of a clique ......

The key word there being 'appear'. I think this thread is a good example of how un-cliquey the forum is, as are many others where a new member has asked for advice and recieved many helpful replies. Would a clique do that? No.

If it sometimes appears to be an old pals act it's because many members know each other in real life from going on meet-ups.  New people are always welcome on these - last meet I was on this year there were about 12 or 13 of us, 4 or 5 of whom I'd never met before.  But if you never get involved then you will always feel like you're on the outside and there's not really anything any one else can do about that.
Not all those who wander are lost

Murphy

« Reply #34 on: 06:49:51, 13/09/17 »
Strider,

Get that totally. Think Sunnydale sums up well what I was trying to say about cliques...maybe bad choice of word from me.

buntonn

« Reply #35 on: 08:22:53, 13/09/17 »
Hello, let me share my experience from this year. I am 47 but not unfit, but also not as fit as I have been as have had a foot issue for about six months impacting lots of daily routines. I do walk most days and enjoy it and wanted to get out hiking to build myself up for a through hike in 2018 or 2019 for the first time. I started with walking in my local area with my boots and building up weight in my backpack to get my body used to it.

Although a long six hour drive, I decided I wanted to walk in the Lake District, I got the four OS maps, but quickly found the AA walkers map covered what I wanted in just a single map. I got routes from a few magazines like Trail and Country Walking, played about in OS Maps online (free with Trail mag subscription or £11 of Tesco club points) making routes and asked advice on here and got a great response to get me going. First walk in the Lake District was Langdale Pikes and got me hooked and I've been back four times so far and might yet be more this year.

I got the Garmin GPSMap 64s when on offer at Go Outdoors, this is good for geocaching too. I use Viewranger on my iPhone quite a bit and now also use Gaia Gps website/App for planning.

The AA 50 walks book many have mentioned is also a good start. Do check Amazon in the New/Used as I have saved a lot buy buying new from mostly the BookRepository for both maps and books.

If you enjoy walking and the countryside, your fitness will increase quite quickly and its a great feeling and will inspire you to go further and higher.

Hope that helps some, it's a nutshell but I'd go on all day.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Nick

Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 08:24:19, 13/09/17 »

Criticism of others, petty arguments, 'ganging up' on other members, topics that really have no place on a walking forum, thread hijacking.....these are the sort of things that some folk were getting bored/fed-up/annoyed with.

And this thread is a prime example.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:09:19, 13/09/17 »
Report it to a moderator then.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:44:24, 14/09/17 »
Report it to a moderator then.

Hi Mel, :)

What goes on here doesn't affect my life or my enjoyment of the forum at all, so I have no need/desire to report anything. I usually just ignore stuff I don't find of any interest or that I don't like.

Comments were made regarding long-standing members not posting anymore and I was simply shedding light on some of the reasons why.

T. :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 09:50:10, 14/09/17 »
 :)
« Last Edit: 09:55:27, 14/09/17 by pleb »
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member