Author Topic: Far eastern fells  (Read 1283 times)

Davon

Far eastern fells
« on: 21:46:56, 30/08/17 »

Hi
Going to spend a couple of days bagging some more Wainwrights and fancy the Far Eastern fells. Is there any circular routes  recommended as access with roads etc is limited and all look like long walks in . or is a wild camp more suited to this location . ?

Thanks
Dave

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Far eastern fells
« Reply #1 on: 22:28:56, 30/08/17 »
Hi
Going to spend a couple of days bagging some more Wainwrights and fancy the Far Eastern fells. Is there any circular routes  recommended as access with roads etc is limited and all look like long walks in . or is a wild camp more suited to this location . ?

Thanks
Dave

I would not have thought of there being long walks in. There are many enjoyable routes and horseshoes. I have lodged quite a few on gpsies.com a date haroldstreet.org.co.uk under the same username, ninthace. Help yourself.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:42:17, 31/08/17 »
They are definitely all possible as day walks if you have a car but it depends what you call a long walk.
The Kentmere Horseshoe is probably the longest single walk you would need to complete the FE Fells at about 13 miles.

Where are you planning to stay? How long for? How far do you like to walk in a day?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:10:37, 31/08/17 »
Second the Kentmere Horseshoe - one of my favourite days out in the Lakes. 

A walk I did earlier this year was from Pooley Bridge up to Ramsgill Head along High Street, taking in several Wainwrights (Arthurs Pike, Loadpot Hill, Wether Hill, High Raise, Kidsty Pike, Rampsgill Head), then dropping down to Patterdale via The Knott, Angletarn Pikes and Brock Craggs.  Bus back to Pooley Bridge.  If you time it right there's even time for a pint in the White Lion while waiting for the bus.  Around 15 miles, walking into fantastic views.

Paul

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:29:46, 31/08/17 »
Paul's walk can also incorporate a boat ride if you park in Patterdale/Glenridding and get the ferry over to How Town. Though, if you are a completist, it does leave a few odd ones to pick up later.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:51:13, 31/08/17 »
Paul's walk can also incorporate a boat ride if you park in Patterdale/Glenridding and get the ferry over to How Town. Though, if you are a completist, it does leave a few odd ones to pick up later.

You are so right - but there's an excuse to go back and do the stragglers!

Davon

« Reply #6 on: 18:30:05, 31/08/17 »

Thanks guys
I will walk for 6or 7 hours at a push ! Kentmere round looks good if weather is going to hold . Was thinking abou wild camping but not much fun when alone , so not sure on camp sites available in this area . I want to walk Sat and Sun

Thanks
Dave

Davon

« Reply #7 on: 20:40:40, 01/09/17 »

Decided on Kentmere round . Going to drive there from Newcastle on Saturday morning .
Any suggestions on camp sites near the start point please

Thanks
Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy