Author Topic: OS map card cover  (Read 1514 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
OS map card cover
« on: 12:06:05, 09/09/17 »
Does anyone have a surefire way of detatching the card cover of a OS map?

In the past I've managed to slowly and gently pull them off, but the Explorer I've recently bought has the cover really firmly glued on, and I don't want to wreck the map.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: OS map card cover
« Reply #1 on: 12:45:51, 09/09/17 »
Mine usually fall off anyway after I've been using them for a while, but I'm curious as to why you need to remove the cover?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:04:01, 09/09/17 »
The main reason is the card cover makes it difficult to fold the map precisely to the area that I want showing in the window of my map case, while a close second is that it is more bulky and difficult to force into the case when folded as I want.
With it off it is also satisfying to know I'm carrying 18g less weight (2/3oz in old money) - every little bit helps!

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:14:45, 09/09/17 »
The main reason is the card cover makes it difficult to fold the map precisely to the area that I want showing in the window of my map case, while a close second is that it is more bulky and difficult to force into the case when folded as I want.
With it off it is also satisfying to know I'm carrying 18g less weight (2/3oz in old money) - every little bit helps!

Ah yes, that makes sense, although I do find that the cover does help to protect the map when it's being shoved in and out of my bag.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:20:44, 09/09/17 »
I'm the same - carefully peel away the cover from the map (for the same reason too; so it folds up easier to put the right bit on display in my map case). 

I wondered if steaming it off would work (like steaming open a letter)?  Not tried that yet though!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:47:42, 09/09/17 »
Hey, a result! I got hold of the map, started unsticking the cover from the other end, and it came off quite easily. It appears to have been stuck on with some sort of pva adhesive.
It was only when I reached the end where I had started first of all that it was firmly glued on, and that had made me think it was all going to be like it.

Thanks for your input, folks.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #6 on: 10:32:27, 10/09/17 »
When I was at school, one of the teachers recommended proofing our maps with Nikwax waterproof spray.  I did that and found the map cover fell off.  I hadn't done that since, but it did seem to make the map more robust. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy