Author Topic: Old boots -new blisters  (Read 822 times)

Marshy Pete

Old boots -new blisters
« on: 13:50:56, 31/10/17 »
I walked the PW in May / June using boots that were worn in (but still comparitively new) with no problems.  After waxing them etc I put them away for the summer while using walking shoes.
Just wore them for a  day walk in Derbyshire and developed a blister on each foot.

Have I left it too long so that the boots are inflexible, are my feet too soft or is this to be expected?

Thanks for any nelp

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Old boots -new blisters
« Reply #1 on: 16:53:48, 31/10/17 »
What make and model are the boots and where have you been storing them over the summer?

Has anything else changed since your PW walk such as adding new insoles or did you use different socks to your PW walk?

Marshy Pete

« Reply #2 on: 19:53:35, 31/10/17 »

Thanks for your replyScarpa GTX.
Rested in a cupboard within the house.

No new insoles, socks are whatever came out of the walking sock pile, some used during PW.

P.S  did you buy the day bag from Lidle, if so how did you get on with it.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:37:55, 31/10/17 »
If they had been stored in a hot loft or damp shed it might have explained it but there shouldn't be any problem if they've been stored in the house at normal room temperature.

It depends where your blisters are but they are usually a sign that the boots are poorly fitting and usually shows up as either blisters on the heels caused by heel lift or under the ball of the foot or toes caused by your foot sliding backwards and forwards inside the boot or if the blisters are on the outside of the little toe it would be an indication that the boots are not wide enough for your feet. It could even be something as simple as wrinkles in your socks going unnoticed.

The problem can usually be cured by either tying your laces in a different way to lock your heel into the back of the boot (plenty of videos on YouTube showing this), wearing a thicker sock to take up any excess volume inside the boot or by adding a volume reducer under the insole.

Having said all that if you managed the PW in them without a problem I'm out of ideas but something must be different or have changed to be suddenly causing the blisters.

I came across this article which may be worth reading and considering if the insoles in your Scarpa boots are the usual cheap manufacturer supplied low quality ones https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/sole_power

I didn't buy the Lidl bag as I've already got a cupboard full of bags of various sizes.  ;)
« Last Edit: 12:01:24, 01/11/17 by kinkyboots »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:09:48, 31/10/17 »
Weight loss/gain can affect feet so if your weight has changed significantly since your PW it may be a contributing factor.

The only other thing I can think is that they've simply dried out and stiffened up a bit due to lack of use.  It might be as simple a cure as wearing them for a few shorter walks and rewaxing them to renourish the leather afresh and bed them in again.

Don't give up hope just yet!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy