Author Topic: switching to gps (viewranger)  (Read 5448 times)

landy87

Re: switching to gps (viewranger)
« Reply #30 on: 17:07:57, 11/01/18 »
Not sure I made my plea for clarification plain landy87.

My understanding of that statement you quoted is that yes I could use and view OS maps whilst online, you still need to buy separate tiles for use offline. I.e. on gps only mode.

yea i was just backing up what you said it seems subscription is no good for offline im looking at purchasing tiles

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 17:58:58, 11/01/18 »
Landy87  O0 Gotcha.
Too little, too late, too bad......

MichaelUK

« Reply #32 on: 19:10:27, 11/01/18 »
An option would is to purchase the paper maps, Blacks are/were selling them at £8 each, and use the code to download the digital version to your device  Then you can use them off line, I believe. This would be a cheaper option than purchasing tiles, though the VR app is more comprehensive .

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:10:59, 11/01/18 »

Have you had a look at Navicomputer?

Thanks for the headsup. I've had a look, it is certainly feature rich and of great benefit to Windows Phone owners whose choice of gps apps is limited, but it uses OpenStreetMap, so I think GeoGPS scores for using OS.

landy87

« Reply #34 on: 21:49:40, 11/01/18 »
i got the national parks landranger maps for £10 and they do become viewable on the web browser version after purchase i like the system so far.

landranger is way cheaper than explorer

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 23:10:02, 11/01/18 »
landranger is way cheaper than explorer

Could be because people prefer to use the bigger scale Explorers?
Personally I wouldn't consider Landrangers for serious navigation.

Cyberhiker

« Reply #36 on: 21:25:16, 15/01/18 »
I personally prefer using Landrangers and always have done.  I prefer the overview of the route they give and have never got seriously lost using them. Over the last two years I have used them while hiking the Pennine Way, West Highland Way, Southern Uplands, Coast to Coast and Cape Wrath Trail. I suppose it's what you are used to but I have never felt the need to switch to 1:25,000 scale and on the odd occasion that I have used them, was always glad to switch back to Landrangers.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy