Author Topic: Good Morrow All!  (Read 1244 times)

The Wondering Wanderer

Good Morrow All!
« on: 15:22:07, 22/01/18 »
Hi,

I'm new to the hiking scene (still getting together gear for my 1st multiday hike).

Well. Sort of.
I've done a fair bit of camping and walking with weight in the past. Nothing like a long distance route though, changing location everyday, walking from point to point.

So being new to it, I welcome any and all advice in any and all areas of getting into hiking.

I'll be getting stuck into the threads soon.

Until then.

Cheers.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Ralph

Re: Good Morrow All!
« Reply #1 on: 16:18:37, 22/01/18 »
Welcome Wanderer. You will wish you had done it before now, the places, the tranquillity & the people you meet along the way make it all worthwhile. Enjoy it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:36:07, 22/01/18 »
Wear comfortable boots! Welcome from Portsmouth.

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: 17:48:37, 22/01/18 »
When I first started doing day hikes I bought some cheapish boots. Planning to buy better ones when I can. The cheap ones I got are actually really comfortable and definitely waterproof. So for now at least I'm good on that front. They probably won't last long with what I put them through though. I don't bother walking around boggy, muddy or watery areas if they're less than ankle height.

I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Ralph

« Reply #4 on: 01:31:37, 23/01/18 »
Wondering Wanderer, you say that you are starting to put gear together.I would  consider  joining The Backpackers Club as you get discounts at many gear shops & online. Membership is £15 yearly (£7:50 cons). An example is Cotswold with 15% off. Hope this helps.

Ralph

« Reply #5 on: 02:03:26, 23/01/18 »
I must add that there are other benefits to joining B'packers Club such as the quarterly magazine. all year round b'packing trips, monthly meets and the Farm Pitch Directory.
Bargain!

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #6 on: 06:37:14, 23/01/18 »
That sounds pretty good. I'll definitely look that one up. Thanks for the info.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:01:47, 23/01/18 »
When I first started doing day hikes I bought some cheapish boots. Planning to buy better ones when I can. The cheap ones I got are actually really comfortable and definitely waterproof. So for now at least I'm good on that front. They probably won't last long with what I put them through though. I don't bother walking around boggy, muddy or watery areas if they're less than ankle height.

Cheap, comfortable and WATERPROOF - what more can anyone ask of boots. If they don't last long then just get another pair the same.
As for being new and seeking advice, with those boots you've already achieved one goal of many on here.

Welcome  :)

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

tom83

« Reply #8 on: 10:39:28, 23/01/18 »
Hello and welcome from Lancashire.

I'm in the same situation as yourself, just getting into long distance walks.

I've done a few 6 mile walks and I'm hoping to build my distance in time for summer and better weather.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:11:22, 23/01/18 »
Hi T.W.W and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #10 on: 11:19:25, 23/01/18 »
I love the peak district.

I'd live there if I could.

I haven't seen nearly enough of it yet. But I will.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:39:15, 23/01/18 »
I love the peak district.

I'd live there if I could.

I haven't seen nearly enough of it yet. But I will.

So do I  8) ....it's great living here but gets soooo busy ::) .....and I'm sure you'll enjoy exploring! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Worcester John

« Reply #12 on: 21:45:12, 24/01/18 »

Welcome from Worcester.

The great thing about our country is the wide variety of walks we can do thanks to our fantastic network of footpaths.
Disabled Ramblers https://disabledramblers.co.uk/ [nofollow]

RogerA

« Reply #13 on: 17:22:51, 31/01/18 »
Welcome to the forum.

If you're still getting geared up, then I'd say dont go too expensive, if you're not sure what you need better to make a cheap mistake.
If you're going to splash out in one area I'd say footwear is the one to concentrate on. After that its all about not carrying too much weight and layering - something I thought I understood until I realised I didnt :)

Have fun!

Roger

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy