Author Topic: Mourne Wall: friend or obstacle?  (Read 2539 times)

Oldtramp

Mourne Wall: friend or obstacle?
« on: 00:03:31, 22/03/18 »
This may be a stupid question.....

I have to go to Belfast for some work on Friday and plan to go down to Newcastle and spend the weekend there, having a walk on the Mournes if the weather is any good.   An unfamiliar range to me.  I went up Slieve Donard in the rain 30 years ago and saw nothing. Except more rain. 

Suppose I get a taxi up to Trassey Bridge, walk up to the Hare's Gap then follow the ridge over Slievenaglogh, Slieve Corragh and Slieve Commedagh.  The section up from the Hare's Gap looks rough.  Does it matter which side of the Mourne Wall I go, N or S?  Or are there plenty of places to cross?  Or more of an obvious path than I could make out on photos?

And, just supposing I continue to Slieve Donard, which is the better descent?  Down the Glen River? Or stick with the Wall till it cuts across the Brandy Pad and drop to Bloody Bridge, where there's a bus up to Newcastle?  The latter, with the sea in front appeals more, but maybe I missing something.

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Mourne Wall: friend or obstacle?
« Reply #1 on: 13:11:20, 22/03/18 »
I think henry is the person to ask, he is the expert on the Mournes  :)
Hate will never win

Oldtramp

« Reply #2 on: 18:32:23, 25/03/18 »
Well, I've answered my question, after a beautiful Saturday in the Mournes, walking from Trassey Bridge to Hare's Gap a and then along the ridge as far as Chimney before dropping down the bloody rough path to Bloody Bridge.  It really is an impressive range and I'll be back for a go at the Western summits.

The wall is an obstacle in that it's apt to block half the view, but there's generally a path either side.  Coming up from the  Hare's gap isn't a problem --- there are steps round the one cliff and I never found the 'rock-step' mentioned in my old Cicerone guide to the Mountains of Ireland

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:07:51, 25/03/18 »
Sorry folks, am only seeing this question now :(  Re western summits - the best walk is Leitrim Lodge - Shanlieve - Eagle - Windy gap - Slievemoughanmore - wee Slievemoughan - Tornamrock - Rocky - Leitrim Lodge. The walk is approximately 11.5km. The terrain is much rougher underfoot and wetter than the eastern Mournes but the views from Eagle are amazing (30 peaks approximately on view). The best walk is probably the back castles of Binnian which can be a circular walk from Carrick Little. You can see all of your walk yesterday right in front of you - walk the route clockwise. O0  Commedagh - Hares Gap ridge is my second favourite in the Mournes after the back castles of Binnian :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy