Author Topic: High Raise and Helm Crag  (Read 720 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
High Raise and Helm Crag
« on: 20:24:23, 21/11/08 »
In stark contrast to my walk earlier in the week, it was pay back time today. The weather forecast was good so I drove up to Grasmere for a walk. Initially the weather was overcast as I walked up Easedale to the tarn - very quiet apart from the jets! Once I had passed the tarn the wind picked up and was very cold, but at least I was dry. On my way up to Sergeant Man I passed by Pavey Ark and Stickle Tarn. I wouldn't have fancied Jack's Rake today - too windy. Then the sleet and hailstorms started and it was like needles poking in the face, so I covered up - but my nose took a right pounding. Once I was past Sergeant Man I made my way up to High Raise and it was really blowing hard with a bit of snow thrown in. Thankfully it stopped long enough for a picture of the summit, but taking a picture was a bit hit and miss today - mostly mist. I didn't hang around the summit and made my way down Greenup Edge and then across to Calf Crag and along the ridge to Helm Crag, then back down to Grasmere.

I was passed by a couple of fell runners today, and someone told me they run downhill on their toes - they call it Point Running. I walk on the balls of my feet, but I only call it walking!   ::)

« Last Edit: 09:38:51, 13/11/12 by ramblingpete »

andybeck

Re: High Raise and Helm Crag
« Reply #1 on: 14:05:54, 23/11/08 »
Good set of photos Pete O0
I've PM'd you
Andy

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: High Raise and Helm Crag
« Reply #2 on: 07:18:36, 03/02/09 »
The walk report for this walk is now on my new blog (which is a work in progress). I haven't got around to putting in the route map but I will later on. When you have clicked onto the blog, allow it to load up the pictures as it has a few slideshows at the bottom of the blog. You can click on any of the images for a larger version. I hope you enjoy - something to read if you're snowed in! :)

http://ramblingpetesdiary.blogspot.com/

To see the route in a bigger scale - click on the map, then use the back arrow to return to the story.
« Last Edit: 08:41:56, 03/02/09 by ramblingpete »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy