Author Topic: Mardale Head Road  (Read 1309 times)

blrovers

Mardale Head Road
« on: 17:29:53, 29/01/09 »
I was up towards Mardale head about a fortnight ago and the road was blocked by a large land slip of shingle just about at the head of the Haweswater reservoir. I'm hoping to take in High Street,  Ramsgill Head, High raise and Kidsty Pike some time soon and I was wondering if anyone from the Brampton area had any knowledge of whether the road has been cleared as yet...might be quite a major project for Cumbria County Council to prevent further occurrences in the future.

Has anyone been up as far as Mardale Head car park of late walking?

False_Summit_Veteran

Re: Mardale Head Road
« Reply #1 on: 12:32:06, 05/02/09 »
12th December was the last time I was there obviously it was passable then.  Shame if it is still blocked, it is a great route.

This was High Street that day.

As an aside, we descended in the dark and as we walked back to the car park at Haweswater head the car park looked very busy, but as we got closer cars departed as our torch beams became obvious leaving just one car with a middle aged couple inside...

got us thinking.  Is this a popular [censored] spot?
Any Moel's a goal.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:18:39, 05/02/09 »
[censored]?  I'll ask.....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #3 on: 09:43:49, 06/02/09 »
<<Wolf whistles>>

As handsome a specimen as Bruno is, I shan't be leaving my car's interior light on to attract his company.  Red is not my colour for a start. 
Any Moel's a goal.

blrovers

« Reply #4 on: 18:52:20, 06/02/09 »
12th December was the last time I was there obviously it was passable then.  Shame if it is still blocked, it is a great route.

This was High Street that day.

As an aside, we descended in the dark and as we walked back to the car park at Haweswater head the car park looked very busy, but as we got closer cars departed as our torch beams became obvious leaving just one car with a middle aged couple inside...

got us thinking.  Is this a popular [censored] spot?

No idea about the [censored] False but it is very isolated so it wouldn't surprise me!! Yes, road was completely blocked by scree from Mardale common when I was up there after Christmas and Cumbria Highways haven't confirmed anything about clearing it and opening the road fully yet... a low priority I suspect.

Great picture btw.

Dik

« Reply #5 on: 21:44:26, 10/02/09 »
I PMed a guy I know from another forum who was up that way this weekend and the road was passable with care. I figure the road could be getting a bit busier now the [censored] is out in the open - so to speak!

Dik

blrovers

« Reply #6 on: 15:39:05, 13/02/09 »
I PMed a guy I know from another forum who was up that way this weekend and the road was passable with care. I figure the road could be getting a bit busier now the [censored] is out in the open - so to speak!

Dik

Thanks for the info Dik

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy