Author Topic: Guess where...  (Read 3860 times)

titaniumdude

Guess where...
« on: 18:18:46, 21/08/06 »
I find that I am going to have to downsize most of my pics to post here, but I did find these that had been scanned in some time ago from pics taken with an extremely outdated 110 camera (Idon't even think it's possible to buy 110 film anymore).  This is a place I've spent a fair bit of time.  Not GB, but some excellent and challenging mountain hikes. 

Anybody guess where.  No prizes just curious.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Crag Rat

Re: Guess where...
« Reply #1 on: 21:16:42, 21/08/06 »
Something tells me it might be Austria..... ;)

Where abouts is it??  We went to Austria in June for our Honeymoon and absolutely loved it.  We stayed in Zell Am See.  See below pics (in colour this time).

I'm particularly please with the photo of the Grossglockner (highest mountain in Austria), we were very lucky with the weather that day!
....because it's there....

titaniumdude

« Reply #2 on: 21:39:10, 21/08/06 »
Jeez!  Those attachment tags travel with the post on here don't they! ;D  Or did you really know.

Yes of course Austria.  The pics were taken in a little town called Ehrwald where my family live right at the foot of the range that holds the Zugspitze and the Grossglockner, the highest mountains in Germany and Austria respectively.  I was about 8 years old the first time I summitted the zugspitze on foot and it was a very long day.  The route we took back then is totally a no go area due to errossion which is a pity.  One of my most vivid memories is stopping at a picnic table that was literally stuck to the side of the mountain.  A tiny plateau held on by a leaning tree.  As I leaned back on the bench which was leaning against this tree I liiked down and there was shear a drop of about a 1000 feet.  Very exciting.  My uncles (both farmers) were part of the local mountain rescue, so I felt safe. :).   I particularly like the first pic I posted. \It's from  asummit that has a pub on it (the Copperge Hutte ) with a great view of the Sebensee, a lake that I once bathed in for a £5 bet and froze my nuts off.  Tirolleans are mad for building strange things in the mountains in the last place you expect them.  This is the view from my bedroom when I stay.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Crag Rat

« Reply #3 on: 21:41:49, 21/08/06 »
Your first picture is a cracker TD and as for the view from your bedroom!!!  Wow! 8)
....because it's there....

titaniumdude

« Reply #4 on: 21:45:41, 21/08/06 »
Cheers dude.  What a great place for your honeymoon.  Did you fall in love with Austria as well.  I can't wait to go back.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:44:06, 13/04/07 »
Sorry i know this is an old topic but i am so green of where you lived TD, it looks fantastic and has just killed my days work :D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 23:48:47, 13/04/07 »
My family come from (and some still live in ) a small town in Tyrol called Ehrwald.  Used to be a mainly farming community which now relies heavily on tourism all year round.  Never lived there full time, but used to visit regularly. It was good growing up with this influence since both my Grandfather and Uncles were members of Alpine mountain rescue which meant I got taken up some pretty hair raising routes from a young age.  One of my fondest memories was of a route up the Zugspitze that can no longer be followed due to extreme errosion.  Couple thousand feet up the side of the mountain was a tiny grassy plateau glued securely to the mountain side by a large tree sticking out at a very wrong angle.  Some mad Austrians had thought this a good place to build a picnic table and chairs where we stopped for some lunch.  As you leaned on the back of the bench (which was held securely by the tree) you could look down on a drop of several hundreds of feet.  Still amazes me how they built this here as the place was reached by some rather dodgy Via Ferrata which guided you along a very narrow cliff hugging path.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:42:22, 14/04/07 »
Its many years since i have been, i used to always go skiing in Tyrol, i always remember the amazing views and funny enough, the best chocolate that i have ever tasted.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy