Author Topic: 3 Peaks  (Read 3455 times)

walking pole

3 Peaks
« on: 15:04:04, 25/05/16 »
Hi all, having a walk round 3 peaks either tomorrow or Friday, have done it before but gained both in age and weight since last time, will not be after breaking any records but just wondering if anyone knows if the route has changed a lot since around 2008? also is the caravan in the lay-by by the bridge near ribblehead still open and if i remember rightly there was a barn type cafe at the bottom of whernside selling tea and coffee so just wondering about that as well, thanks

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: 3 Peaks
« Reply #1 on: 15:12:26, 25/05/16 »
There is still a snack van at Ribblehead and the barn cafe was open when I did the 3 peaks last year but I think it's only open at weekend and perhaps bank holidays.

The only difference of the route is that you no longer have to go through the boggy bit between Pen-y-ghent and the viaduct, there's a section of nice new path. Head from Pen-y-ghent and follow the descent to the village, pretty soon you'll see the new path ahead branching off to the right, this then joins the Pennine Way path for a little while before it meets the original path after the boggy bit. It's well signposted.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:11:33, 25/05/16 »
As Bricam says, after coming down from P-Y-G you're discouraged away from the boggy sections to a new path over Whitber hill. It's slightly further but much more pleasant (although it does feel a bit like cheating. :D ) and quicker as a result of being easier. The route's pretty well sign posted from P-Y-G pretty much to Ribblehead.

The caravan at Ribblehead's still there and also after the descent of Whernside there's another cafe at Philbin farm, where I recommend the pint of orange juice with ice cubes ;D  Nectar! But, as with the Caravan I think its only open at weekends..

There Is a pub at Ribble head and one just after Philbin farm too, so you should still be able to re-supply
« Last Edit: 21:14:43, 25/05/16 by Hillhiker1 »

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:51:16, 26/05/16 »
As already stated there have been several improvements to the path. These are more to protect the route than make it easier.
People being up to their chest in bog was deemed too risky.
Re supply is actually very simple, a 15 minute drive enables you to leave drink on the route and cooling in streams. Or hot flasks for that matter. (another 15 minutes after your walk enable empties to be collected.)
PS The '4th peak' burger van is there most 'summer' days. The cafe at Philipin is weekends only.

PPS I commend varying the route by starting at the Hill Inn, and doing Ingleborough first. Hardest out of the way whilst fresh and the cafe at Horton for a breakfast.
Enjoy :)

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

walking pole

« Reply #4 on: 12:55:17, 26/05/16 »
Thank's for that info, will be starting  from horton  weathers looking ok as well so hopefully should be a good day

GoreTex Vidal

« Reply #5 on: 01:17:28, 06/08/16 »
Can someone tell me just how fit you need to to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks. As in, would I need to be military fit or just an experienced walker?

I walk every weekend basically, would I be able for this walk or would I need to do boot camp style [censored] to have a chance of finishing it in the 12 hours?

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:28:57, 06/08/16 »
You don't need to be mil fit to walk the Y3P in 12 hours. I certainly wasn't.

However I was 'hill' fit ie used to walking the fells regularly.

To finish within the 12 hours you also need to keep up a steady pace - not much chance for enjoying the view. And be prepared for agony on the final unending descent from Ingleborough.

Have fun!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:28:08, 06/08/16 »
I would second that, not super fit, just a regular walker. I did the round a couple of years ago for the first (and probably only) time as part of getting a bit fitter before doing the Pennine Way.
The worst bit, as Sarah says, is the long bit at the end; I remember sitting at the top of Ingleborough being told the car was still 5 miles away, and thinking there was no way I could get there.  However, not having a choice....   then in the last couple of miles people started running past me to get in under the 12 hours, just to rub in how pathetic I was being.

GoreTex Vidal

« Reply #8 on: 13:21:01, 06/08/16 »
Thanks for the replies people, looking forward to doing it with A bit of trepidation ok!

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:40:58, 06/08/16 »
Just hill fit as Sarah says. I did it 3 years ago, I'm way overweight and not at all fit. I'd suggest its to do with mental preparation and not going too fast on hard bits.
I also have one bit of advice.  Start with Ingleborough from the Old Hill Inn. You then get the worst bit out of the way whilst fresh. You can even get refreshments at Horton without carrying them.
I actually had no rucksack, carried a one litre bottle of drink. I left replacements at road crossing points.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

GoreTex Vidal

« Reply #10 on: 15:31:22, 07/08/16 »
Just hill fit as Sarah says. I did it 3 years ago, I'm way overweight and not at all fit. I'd suggest its to do with mental preparation and not going too fast on hard bits.
I also have one bit of advice.  Start with Ingleborough from the Old Hill Inn. You then get the worst bit out of the way whilst fresh. You can even get refreshments at Horton without carrying them.
I actually had no rucksack, carried a one litre bottle of drink. I left replacements at road crossing points.

Cheers, not carrying a backpack is actually a very good idea which never occurred to me. I always carry far too much, if the weather is changeable I might carry a tiny bag instead, or none at all if it looks like it won't rain
Thanks

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy