Author Topic: Dent/Ingleton transport links  (Read 6979 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Dent/Ingleton transport links
« on: 21:10:51, 08/07/17 »
Ow dooz

Does anyone know of any transport options between Dent and Ingleton?

I'm aware of the Dalesbus, etc. timetables but they are infrequent and appear to be a 3 hour / 3 bus changes journey  :(   I'm also aware of the train station at Dent (which is about 5 miles away from Dent itself) but, again, that would mean a lengthy journey time with bus link.

Just so you get the gist of why I'm asking..... I'm planning a linear "Whernside Nose to Tail" walk from Ingleton to Dent (I would be staying in Dent as I have 3 other walks to do from there). 

I guess another option would be a taxi ....

..... or a forum meet ....  :D

Cheers in advance for any ideas  :)

Mel

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Dent/Ingleton transport links
« Reply #1 on: 23:17:26, 08/07/17 »
Given the state of the roads between the 2 locations I am not surprised. The "direct" route is a gated road.
I know from experience that some services in that area are only once a week!

Try googling bus timetables for  Ingelton to Kirkby Lonsdale, KL to Sedbergh, Sedbergh to Dent. You may be able to find something that way
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 01:29:45, 09/07/17 »
Hi ninthace

If you mean Thornton Lane, I know.  I've driven down it (on my quest to find parking for my Gragareth walk). 

You've also just confirmed what I suspected during my googling sessions for this... that it's going to be a 3 bus change, lengthy journey  :(

Don't suppose you know any taxis firms that would be willing to drive down that road do you?  :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:02:34, 09/07/17 »
It wouldn't be a bad walk if you had the time. Ingleton Waterfalls, FP up to the lane, across the road for a visit to various potholes and Yordas Cave then via Kingsdale and Deepdale. Here's a trace, you could use the left half as part of your route. http://www.Harold street.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1631
Solvitur Ambulando

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:37:56, 09/07/17 »
I'm unaware of buses for this Mel. Mostly because I never use them.
All I can offer is my company on such a walk, and de-facto a car at both ends. Or a lift back could be arranged.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

des65

« Reply #5 on: 12:19:18, 09/07/17 »
Catch the train from Dent to Ribblehead. Then either walk it or get a taxi.
Love to walk in the Pennine hills.
Dabbling in glamping [nofollow] and relaxing [nofollow]

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:24:36, 10/07/17 »
The buses go to/from the train station, least they have when I used em.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:30:19, 10/07/17 »
Ninthace - I fear a return trip from t'other end may be a wander too far for a day walk for me but it has given me an idea of walking to Dent over Whernside, staying the night, then walking back to Ingleton via your route the next day.

Peter - I like your comment and I may hold you to it seeing as you've dragged me up the other two of the Y3Ps... time I returned the favour  :D   I did send you a PM on Facebook Messenger but I don't think you've seen it.

des65 - Aye, that did cross my mind.  It would probably have to be a taxi from Ribblehead as walking from there to Twistleton end scars then up and over Whernside back to Dent is an epic mountain day out for me.  My original plan is challenging enough in my world!

Dovegirl - cheers for those links.  No I'd not seen them.

Pleb - yes, the bus goes to/from the train station but sadly doesn't go anywhere near Ingleton without a connecting bus from probably Settle. 

It's just really frustrating because there's a lovely (albeit narrow) direct route from Dent to Ingleton that absolutely NOTHING in terms of public transport travels down which does surprise me in a way.

Oldtramp

« Reply #9 on: 21:24:47, 11/07/17 »
Walk up to Dent Station (or catch bus to some other station on the Settle Carlisle https://sites.create-cdn.net/sitefiles/32/0/2/320226/WDB_Summer_Timetable_Leaflet_2017_v1.3.pdf),

Catch train to Helifield or Long Preston

580/581 bus to Ingleton http://getdown.org.uk/bus/bus/581.shtml

The other option, only possible on a Saturday, is bus to Kendal then to Kirby Lonsdale, then 580/581 to Ingleton

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:16:36, 14/07/17 »
Hi Oldtramp

Aye, I'd seen the Saturday route and times when I was planning to do this walk last Saturday.  A 3+ hour journey isn't filling me with inspiration at the moment mindst  :-\

Cheers for the timetable links.  I will see if anything fits my walking speed and timeframe  O0 

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:55:13, 14/07/17 »
Hi Oldtramp

Aye, I'd seen the Saturday route and times when I was planning to do this walk last Saturday.  A 3+ hour journey isn't filling me with inspiration at the moment mindst  :-\

Cheers for the timetable links.  I will see if anything fits my walking speed and timeframe  O0

I'm confused. Your post was made last Saturday night? For a walk you were doing that day?
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:11:09, 14/07/17 »
Haha, Peter, no.. not quite.  I messaged you on the Friday but hadn't heard from you by Saturday morning (short notice, I know) so I had a quick google of bus routes between Dent and Ingleton and it was only then that I realised the stupidity of my assumption that there would be a simple, direct bus between the two down that little road (Thornton Lane I think it's called).  So, later on Saturday night I posted this topic in case I was being really dim and there is, indeed, a direct bus rather than 3 that go via Timbuktu, mainly for future reference.

It basically isn't as straightforward as I thought it would be  :-[

Oldtramp

« Reply #13 on: 18:47:56, 15/07/17 »
There a taxi firm in Bentham, which isn't far from Ingleton -- you might ask them how much they'd charge for a run back to Dent.

Bentham Taxis

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:56:27, 15/07/17 »
I think Oldtramp has the  easiest route - except that you can get a train from Dent to Settle and then catch the Ingleton bus - cuts a bit of time off the journey. There's more buses and more options on Bank Holidays, apparently,  but my view is that Upper Ribblesdale is a really duff place to be on a bank holiday....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy