Author Topic: How did everyone start walking?  (Read 14756 times)

stuartpb

Re: How did everyone start walking?
« Reply #30 on: 15:39:04, 06/12/11 »
I started with the cubs, when we were living in Germany back in the early 80's. My dad was a soldier and we were posted there. The army used to organise a march/walk, and the cubs, scouts, brownies and guides from various camps used to take part in it as well as teams of soldiers from various regiments. It was called the Rheindahlen Allied March (if my memory serves me well), and it was a road walk. I can't remember the exact distance, but I think it was around 20km. I took part in the walk twice, and got a medal for it each time. I was 8yrs old on the first walk, and the walking bug took me from then.

We used to go on walks with my mum and dad in various places around Germany, there were two that stood out for me - the Moselle/ Rhein Valleys, and the Black forest. I used to love walking in forests, and still do.  When we came back to England, after my dad died, I used to go to the Lake District a lot with a friend, who had an aunty living just outside Kendal, so we got plenty of walking in then.

nvl35

« Reply #31 on: 15:54:52, 06/12/11 »
1981 went on a school trip to do the Lyke wake walk me and a mate and 2 girls, we had no idea what it was we had signed up for just thought it's be good fun and a chance to get doing stuff we shouldn't. :D

My gear consisted of a leather bike jacket,jeans and a pair of ex army boots strangely I completed the walk mainly down to the "seasoned walkers" laughing at my gear along the way. I can be a stubbourn bas---d

Never did another walk from then until last August when I decided after 30 years to have another go at the LWW no  training and no support and again I completed it.

Swore I'd never set foot on it again that was two more crossings ago and am looking at doing it again soon.
Don't wait for your ship to come in
Swim out and meet the bloody thing !

Barry Sheene

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 16:44:03, 08/12/11 »
I liked the idea of the great outdoors after going on a school geography trip that took us to Edale and up Jacob's Ladder. I wanted to go on another but they wanted (in 1969) 12/6d which even now seems a bit steep and more money than I could have got my hands on (62.5p in new money).

Me and my mates equipped with duffle bags and wellibobs decided to do it ourselves. Half return to Hayfield on the train was only 1/6d (7.5p). For a map, I used a road map in the back of a pocket diary which of course was useless but with the help of a local we were directed through Tunstead farm up onto Kinder Low. After that, we got kitted out and you'd find us in the Peak District on many weekends.

I keep going because it gets in your blood and is good exercise too. Love challenges - Welsh 3000 next - can't wait  :)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:04:35, 08/12/11 »
I liked the idea of the great outdoors after going on a school geography trip that took us to Edale and up Jacob's Ladder. I wanted to go on another but they wanted (in 1969) 12/6d which even now seems a bit steep and more money than I could have got my hands on (62.5p in new money).

Me and my mates equipped with duffle bags and wellibobs decided to do it ourselves. Half return to Hayfield on the train was only 1/6d (7.5p). For a map, I used a road map in the back of a pocket diary which of course was useless but with the help of a local we were directed through Tunstead farm up onto Kinder Low. After that, we got kitted out and you'd find us in the Peak District on many weekends.

I keep going because it gets in your blood and is good exercise too. Love challenges - Welsh 3000 next - can't wait  :)
[/quo
Good to see you back on the forum Alan  O0   I agree it must be in your blood, although it doesnt appear to be in my two son's blood for some reason  :(

Catbells, a truly lovely walk

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:09:36, 08/12/11 »
Good to see you back on the forum Alan
Thanks Catbells. My 32 year old marriage went wrong. Wife traded me in for an older model!! Put me off my stride for a bit  ;)

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:52:01, 08/12/11 »
Thanks Catbells. My 32 year old marriage went wrong. Wife traded me in for an older model!! Put me off my stride for a bit  ;)
Life can be very tough sometimes Alan, I'm sure you have enough hobbies and things to keep you occupied, enjoy life and enjoy your walking just think you can do more now your single!  ;)

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:53:13, 08/12/11 »
enjoy life and enjoy your walking just think you can do more now your single!
Good advice Catbells and I'll take it  ;)

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:54:52, 08/12/11 »
Good advice Catbells and I'll take it  ;)

We will be seeing you meet ups then !  O0

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:59:12, 08/12/11 »
We will be seeing you meet ups then
Definitely. I'm already booked for Malham on Sunday and Snowdon for New Years morning. What was I thinking?  :o :)

ant89

« Reply #39 on: 21:18:28, 08/12/11 »
I put one foot in front of the other ;)

living in north wales my entire life helps ;)
ucet.org.uk

MacAoidh

« Reply #40 on: 21:42:25, 08/12/11 »
I didn’t need anybody to introduce me to the hills as I found the hills for myself.  My local hills - the Renfrew Heights rise steeply behind Largs onto rugged moorland hills and I started to explore these hills in the mid 1960’s; it was ideal terrain to learn my navigational skills. As a boy of 16 in 1969 I climbed my first Munro (Ben Nevis) and I completed all the Munros 22 years later in 1991.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 00:03:12, 09/12/11 »
completed all the Munros 22 years later in 1991.
Respect! Anyone who does the Inn Pinn deserves a medal!
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 08:29:10, 09/12/11 »
It started last year  :) I was originally to be part of the 3 peaks challenge, but this all fell through and seeing as I'd raised money for charity I'd thought I'd do 2 peaks Snowdon and Scafell Pike over a weekend. I'm glad I did it this way now as I had time to appreciate the mountains and not rush them. I was blown away by the scenery and the acheivements I'd made. That was me hooked.
The trip report is here...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 09:11:28, 09/12/11 »
I started with the cubs, when we were living in Germany back in the early 80's. My dad was a soldier and we were posted there. The army used to organise a march/walk, and the cubs, scouts, brownies and guides from various camps used to take part in it as well as teams of soldiers from various regiments. It was called the Rheindahlen Allied March (if my memory serves me well), and it was a road walk.

Dead right mate, I've done it too as part of the training we did for the 4 day Nijmegen Marches  O0
Where there's a will ...

stuartpb

« Reply #44 on: 10:04:59, 09/12/11 »
 O0  Nice! I wasn't 100% sure of the name, glad I got it right.

Can you remember the distance? My sister says that there were different distances that could be done, with shorter distances for us kids.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy