Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 1290 times)

Redroamer

Hello all
« on: 09:09:53, 02/10/17 »
New user here.
Keen walker from Liverpool. Love being on the fells and mountains, but unfortunately I'm now based in the south east and don't get above about 600 feet above sea level very often. Determined to get more adventurous though!
Cheers.

Rather be walking

Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: 12:31:52, 02/10/17 »
Hi welcome from the south coast, just north of the City of Portsmouth.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:00:00, 02/10/17 »
Hello from Old Portsmouth. I was bought up in Kent and in the last couple of years I've walked some of their trails. Walking allowed me to see Kent in a whole different way. Very nice, especially when the fruit is out and ready to eat.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:35:15, 02/10/17 »
Welcome from Hove on the Sussex coast    :)

John Walker

« Reply #4 on: 21:24:47, 02/10/17 »
Hello and Welcome from Twickenham (altitude about 12 metres above sea level). 

Yes, we SE inhabitants are a bit challenged when it comes to fells (certainly no mountains).  Have you done much coast path walking? I find that a really good (and challenging) alternative to fells and mountains. For example the coast path from Eastbourne (not far from Kent) to e.g. Cuckmere Haven, the start of the South Downs Way, is only about 12 km in length, never rises more than about 160 metres above the sea but involves climbing (and descending) more than 500 metres in all. That's quite a challenge and you get stupendous views thrown in at no extra charge ;)
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:40:02, 03/10/17 »
I live near the beach so have no real interest in walking coastal routes, beside, or around a lake is enough for me. The long distance routes in the South East are there, High Weald Trail, Greensand Way, Sussex Border Path and more, plus two National Trails as well. Its the Sussex Border Path that I haven't got around to yet.

Redroamer

« Reply #6 on: 10:22:48, 03/10/17 »
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.
I have done a bit of coastal walking as I'm not a million miles away from the Sussex coast and I do love the sea (only natural for the son of a docker).
I live really close to the North Downs, which I know really well and I've done a few South Downs walks too. Not short of good scenery by any means but I do find myself yearning for more wilderness as I get older.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:10:12, 03/10/17 »
'Yearning for more wilderness', I know that feeling well!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:44:52, 03/10/17 »
Hi Redroamer and welcome from the Peak District O0

Plenty of wild wilderness up here....if you know where to look!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:53:16, 03/10/17 »
Hi Redroamer and welcome from your old home city.  One of the problems of moving to the badlands - no wilderness.

Redroamer

« Reply #10 on: 17:03:09, 03/10/17 »
Lovely place the Peak District. First ever "proper walk", me and a few school mates in the mid 80s, was from Lyme Park through the Goyt valley and to Shining Tor.  Didn't know back then that the Goyt is one of the sources of the Mersey.  O0
Got to know around the Bollington area quite well as an older teenager.

Redroamer

« Reply #11 on: 17:07:55, 03/10/17 »
Hi Redroamer and welcome from your old home city.  One of the problems of moving to the badlands - no wilderness.

So much good walking a stone's throw from Liverpool!

walkingthedog

« Reply #12 on: 13:08:45, 04/10/17 »
Hello and welcome to the forum. :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy