Author Topic: In search of the ideal walking trousers  (Read 2175 times)

Kukkudrill

In search of the ideal walking trousers
« on: 17:58:05, 17/07/17 »
The ideal hiking trousers, for me, should:

- not be too warm (good for May in the UK, also bearing in mind that you might need to wear waterproof trousers over them)
- be made of stretchy material
- have room for an OS map
- have cargo pockets on both legs.

I walked the West Highland Way last May in a pair of Fjallraven Barents. I really love the pocket layout on these trousers, but they are on the warm side (even for Scotland) and lack stretch. I found that stretch, or the lack of it, makes a real difference when you're tired and you're tackling the umpteenth ascent.

I also have a pair of Craghoppers Classic Kiwis but these too lack stretch and they have only one cargo pocket. Keeping a map and a guidebook in the same pocket just isn't practical.

So far I've identified two possible contenders: the Craghoppers Kiwi Explorers (a new model in their range) and the Rohan Upland Trekkers. Can anyone give their impressions of these trousers? I'd appreciate info about any others as well.
Make the most of the available light

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: In search of the ideal walking trousers
« Reply #1 on: 20:49:47, 17/07/17 »
If you didn't want pockets on both legs the kiwi stretch pro would suit your needs.  I have a pair and like them  O0
Where there's a will ...

Wayne s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:54:54, 18/07/17 »
I have a pair of the Kiwi pro, can't fault them. Very comfortable.

MikeW

« Reply #3 on: 10:08:06, 18/07/17 »
Another vote for Craghoppers Kiwi Stretch Pro.

paddyposh

« Reply #4 on: 13:10:53, 18/07/17 »
I use issue MTP ones, very easy to move and scramble in, large pocket each side. Very comfy which surprised me

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:14:56, 18/07/17 »
I am still wearing and using my Mountain equipment freestyle trousers, bought back in 1981 in Crickhowell Adventure Gear in Brecon.
The polycotton has faded, but there are no tears or damage to the material, and all zips are in fine condition.
Plenty of life still left in them, and the cotton still dries out incredibly quickly.

nesty

« Reply #6 on: 16:29:00, 18/07/17 »
I am still wearing and using my Mountain equipment freestyle trousers, bought back in 1981 in Crickhowell Adventure Gear in Brecon.
The polycotton has faded, but there are no tears or damage to the material, and all zips are in fine condition.
Plenty of life still left in them, and the cotton still dries out incredibly quickly.

At the moment I am looking for a softshell pair of walking trousers. Mountain Equipment Ibex pant is starting to take my fancy! A friend of mine has a Mountain Equipment jacket and says they well made products!

walkingthedog

« Reply #7 on: 17:53:48, 18/07/17 »
Yes I can't fault the kiwi pro stretch trousers very comfy will definitely be buying another pair. O0

Kukkudrill

« Reply #8 on: 20:41:55, 18/07/17 »
Thanks all for your replies. Two cargo pockets are a must for me, however.
Make the most of the available light

nesty

« Reply #9 on: 12:31:19, 23/07/17 »
What's the difference between the Craghoppers Kiwi pro active strech & the classic Kiwi trousers.

Is it's the strech material and pockets?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:39:06, 23/07/17 »
Mainly the stretch material  O0
Where there's a will ...

Bucket

« Reply #11 on: 12:57:10, 23/07/17 »
I previously owned a pair of Craghoppers walking trousers which I managed to tear in the crotch area when slipping on a Pen-Y-Fan walk. The next pair I bought were the Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Active trousers. Haven't bothered with any others since as they are so comfortable, I even wear them for golf. The map pocket on one leg never gets any use as its tiny but I'd still recommend them for the comfort factor. I'm what I'd like to call "A Large Ish Gent who owns a 42 inch waist" and these have never caused me any problems.

nesty

« Reply #12 on: 13:22:03, 23/07/17 »
Ok thanks. had to return the ones from ebay, as they were way too snug!
I think in the craghoppers now you have to order a size up as the sizing comes up small.
Go outdoors priced matched a competitor +10%, in the next size up. Hopefully be collecting them this week.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #13 on: 15:50:25, 23/07/17 »

Mine finally died (sticthing went and wore through at the zips).. As they'd lasted about 25 years, I couldn't complain.  I liked their pocket arrangement

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy