Author Topic: Bridge of Orchy Bunkhouse Closed????  (Read 12101 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Bridge of Orchy Bunkhouse Closed????
« on: 20:00:40, 15/02/13 »
Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I can't find it.

Just planning to do the WHW again this year but doing it the easy way, not camping and carrying my stuff this time. Contacted the usual places about accommodation but got an email back from the Bridge of Orchy Hotel saying...

Thank you for your email regarding accommodation. Unfortunately we no longer have a bunkhouse but we are offering guest special rates to stay in the hotel. At the time of writing we can offer you the following:

1 x Double room ( single occupancy) at the rate of £65.00 per room per night, bed & breakfast in the hotel.  All our rooms is en-suite and plugs are all in there. If you would like to make this booking please contact us again on...........

Kind regards
Nadia

Just thought I'd mention it as I'm sure people will be planning for the WHW and using the bunkhouse  >:(

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: Bridge of Orchy Bunkhouse Closed????
« Reply #1 on: 22:22:19, 15/02/13 »
I drove by the hotel last week and there is new building work going on where the bunk house was.
Must have been demolished.
Sparnel

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:07:50, 15/02/13 »
maybe they should update their website, it's still got the bunkhouse on it :-/

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

lejogplodder

« Reply #3 on: 11:24:28, 16/02/13 »
When i walked up there, there was a separate bunkhouse on the old station so you may still have an option.

Cheers J.P.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:59:37, 16/02/13 »
When i walked up there, there was a separate bunkhouse on the old station so you may still have an option.

Cheers J.P.
I think that will be the West Highland Way Sleeper.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

dora the explorer

« Reply #5 on: 15:51:22, 16/02/13 »
i recently telephoned the bridge of orchy hotel and was also told the bunkhouse is closed, also offered room for £65. looks a nice hotel tho.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:04:37, 24/02/13 »
still a bit pricey. They offered me one for £65 but by the time I got home and phoned the Hotel, the cheapest one they could offer was £120

After a moment to switch my brain into gear, and a bit of surfing, I found out that I could get a train back to Tyndrum just before 7pm and stay at a site called "bytheway" http://www.tyndrumbytheway.com/ which has cabins as well as a bunkhouse.

Then get the 15 minute train back in the morning at 7:58am

The camping cabin is costing me £20, huge saving plus places to eat/drink in Tyndrum, whereas only the Hotel at Bridge of orchy

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:03:07, 24/02/13 »
I am booked in to the Bridge of Orchy Hotel at the end of April - It was part of a 'package' for the WHW I booked.

I have spent some time this evening looking at the various towns / villages using Goolge Street Map so that I can figure out in advance where my accommodation is and where the pubs are.

I suspect that by the time I get to the Bridge of Orchy Hotel I will be so please to see it and the restaurant / bar I will care little about the cost - by then it will be all about survival!! :D

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: 09:28:22, 25/02/13 »
The west highland way sleeper is a bunkhouse in the old railway station platform building. It's not the best and has had some bad reviews recently. I think the removal of the hotel bunkhouse has been on the cards for a long time. They are not that bothered about the lower end of the market. To be honest I am not sure they even like walkers in there hotel. 

Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:01:15, 25/02/13 »
To be honest I am not sure they even like walkers in there hotel.

When dog and I were in there on the WHW a few years ago they could not have been nicer - the staff were eastern european boy and girl who were great despite the fact that we were soaked and left big puddles on the floor. We only had a meal and a couple of beers, did not stay (not at their prices)
« Last Edit: 10:07:07, 25/02/13 by mananddog »

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: 01:10:47, 26/02/13 »
I just read through the planning application "Demolition of bunkhouse, external terrace structure to hotel bar, replacement of hotel cottage and store extension to main hotel. Erection of 3 single storey buildings (hotel accommodation), sauna, external terrace and stores to existing hotel and alterations to hotel main entrance to accommodate platform lift and improve access"  
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

ron6632

« Reply #11 on: 14:37:17, 17/04/13 »
The west highland way sleeper is a bunkhouse in the old railway station platform building. It's not the best and has had some bad reviews recently. I think the removal of the hotel bunkhouse has been on the cards for a long time. They are not that bothered about the lower end of the market. To be honest I am not sure they even like walkers in there hotel.

I've stayed at the sleeper a couple of times, albeit a few years ago now.  Always found it to be comfortable and accommodating, although you do have to be wary about getting dressed in the morning with the curtains open lest you give unwary train passengers a fright :)

stephenx10

« Reply #12 on: 10:16:02, 05/07/17 »
Hi just to clear up any confusion people reading this thread may have: The Bridge of Orchy hotel bunkhouse is different to the Bridge of Orchy Train Station Bunkhouse (aka west highland way sleeper). I believe the one at the hotel is closed. The one on the train station is very much open for business.

Telephone: 07778746600

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy