Author Topic: 3/4 Sleeping Mat : Alpkit (£38) or Vango (£29) .. Which would you buy  (Read 1040 times)

wbmkk

I am looking to buy a 3/4 length sleeping mat and am considering

Alpkit Airo 120 at £37.99 + free delivery

Vango F10 Aero Compact at £28.95 (GoOutdoors with card) delivered

Which is the better mat ?

The Alpkit Cloudbase gets good reviews too, but not keen on purely inflating mats .. puncture = useless

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I always carry a puncture outfit with me but have never used it yet. If I was to buy a new sleeping mat I would go for a self-inflating full-length model (I bought a torso length one once and ended up with cold feet) and to take note of the inflated depth size. My Thermarest 'thin' model is fine but to be comfortable I need to have it inflated to a precise level, not enough and my iliac crest becomes sore (I'm a side sleeper), and if too much it feels like I'm sleeping on a slab of concrete. The other factor I would consider is when deflated how big is it still? I used to strap mine horizontally across the top of my rucksack.

I then moved on to a Thermarest Neo-air, much better, very light, a decent thickness, and when deflated rolls up to the size of a Coca-Cola can so store inside my rucksack. I have to inflate it, I use the supplied yellow plastic bag to do it, very easy once you get the knack.

Sorry can't help you with what is the best choice between your preferred models.

Eyelet

Both are the same width, self inflating mats (with some puff from you!) and you will be on the ground if either mat gets punctured. The Alpkit mat is 40cm shorter and is therefore nearly half the weight and packs up smaller than the Vango. In use the Alpkit mat is probably more slippery than the Vango, which can be an issue if you pitch on a slight slope. You can get spray-on rubber or other choices that can counteract this - see this thread for example https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/sleeping-pad-slip-n-slide/ and Google "rubber spray for thermorest".

So if you are happy with the shorter mat, then the Alpkit has some advantages for backpacking - your call O0

Like gunwharfman, I am a Thermorest user, but have had one puncture in the field which I cured with a repair kit which I always carry. I also have moved onto Neo-air mat for the same reasons.
« Last Edit: 15:37:58, 20/02/21 by Eyelet »

Peak

I have no experience of either mat but have  bought a lot of stuff from Alpkit without a problem, so I am biased towards them. They also constantly win the independent online retailer section in the annual TGO competition, just my thoughts.

fernman

• Veteran Member
I am biased too - towards the Multimat Superlight 25S, which you might consider.

You can get spray-on rubber or other choices that can counteract this - see this thread for example https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/sleeping-pad-slip-n-slide/ and Google "rubber spray for thermorest".

I believe dots of sealant on the underside is the recommended method. I bought a non-slip product in a hardware shop for spraying onto the underside of rugs, and while it had the desired effect it never completely set on my mat, which always remained slightly tacky and it transferred to my groundsheet slightly too.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
As someone who does occasionally suffer from cold feet, for me, a torso mat would be a false economy. Not sure that the foam in a punctured mat would offer much in the way of either comfort or insulation - it is pretty easily compressible.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Stube

Blacks are selling berghaus 3/4 mats for £32. Free delivery ends midnight tonight.You may be able to get a further 15% off as membership of various outdoor organisations such as DoE and NT,

Skip

• Veteran Member
I have no experience of either mat but have  bought a lot of stuff from Alpkit without a problem . . .

Same here. I can't comment on the individual mats but I've been using Alpkit gear for years and can highly recommend Alpkit as a quality brand. Good customer service too.

PS no connection except as a satisfied customer.
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy